Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go out for a quick ride this early afternoon. As temps were warming up nicely. So I gear up and head out. My first stop was just over an hour away. Where I planned to fill up and then continue on. As I only had just over a half a tank when leaving my house. Fast forward, I arrive at the destination and pull up to the pump. Go to pull out my wallet and it's no where to be found. Panic sets in.. I am about 65 miles from home and my bike shows 55 mile range. So I head back towards home. I am feathering the throttle and watching the range evaporate on the LCD screen faster than I am racking up the miles. The range finally goes - - - on the screen. Not going to push it any further. So I pulled into the gas station. Thankfully, I see a fellow biker just beginning to fill up. I cautiously approach as he is carrying. I announce myself and humbly explained my situation. He just laughed and opened his wallet and asked what I needed. He gave me a $10, which was more than I needed. I offered to send him cash. He smiled, and told me to pay it forward. Good dude, and also restored my faith in humanity. I would have done the same thing for someone. But I truly appreciated his generosity. After arriving home and finding my wallet on the hood of my car? I promptly stuck a $20 Bill with my registration packet. So I wouldn't find myself in that pickle again.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I decided to go out for a quick ride this early afternoon. As temps were warming up nicely. So I gear up and head out. My first stop was just over an hour away. Where I planned to fill up and then continue on. As I only had just over a half a tank when leaving my house. Fast forward, I arrive at the destination and pull up to the pump. Go to pull out my wallet and it's no where to be found. Panic sets in.. I am about 65 miles from home and my bike shows 55 mile range. So I head back towards home. I am feathering the throttle and watching the range evaporate on the LCD screen faster than I am racking up the miles. The range finally goes - - - on the screen. Not going to push it any further. So I pulled into the gas station. Thankfully, I see a fellow biker just beginning to fill up. I cautiously approach as he is carrying. I announce myself and humbly explained my situation. He just laughed and opened his wallet and asked what I needed. He gave me a $10, which was more than I needed. I offered to send him cash. He smiled, and told me to pay it forward. Good dude, and also restored my faith in humanity. I would have done the same thing for someone. But I truly appreciated his generosity. After arriving home and finding my wallet on the hood of my car? I promptly stuck a $20 Bill with my registration packet. So I wouldn't find myself in that pickle again.
Always wondered what a HD was good for...now I know:wink2:

Glad you did not have to push it home.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I don't find this story surprising at all. From my experiences "Bikers" are the most generous group of riders out there. They participate in more fundraising than any other group of riders.

Glad you didn't have to push the bike home as well.

When I was 19 I was pushing my XS750 home because I forgot to turn the petcock back to 'run' after I filled up so when it coughed I had no fuel left since it was already on 'reserve'. As a passed a house a guy was out in his front yard and asked me what was wrong. I shared my stupidity and he poured a gallon of fuel from his lawnmower can into my bike and wouldn't take any money for it. There are a lot of good people out there.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hardest part was putting both my ego and pride aside. An asking a complete stranger for assistance. Especially, when it was my own stupidity for putting myself in this situation. Was I surprised that a biker helped in a time of need, no. But was it appreciated? Absolutely!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was riding with a friend last weekend and spent about 3 hours on the side of a road messing with a his dead Duc and waiting on a tow for it. Several HD riders and 4 wheelers stopped to offer assistance, trailers, ride home or just to shoot the breeze for up to an hour. It almost turned into an event on it's own.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just a thought...if ya had your cell on ya maybe you could have done internet banking with the garage and paid that way, i had to do this last month cause i left my wallet at home.

I realise if its just a pay at pump only this wont be an option.

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I was young and full of it in the 70s I came up with the half-baked plan to ride my 175cc Ducati thumper street bike across the country to Toronto and back to the west coast through the northern States. All went well as far as the bike until I was almost home from the one cylinder epic and the bike died. Im on the side of the road after a massive last day ride,tired and out in the country and feeling defeated. A scuffy looking guy in HD garb driving a beat up pickup stops and offers to fix my bike. We load it up on the truck and off to his abode, a farmhouse which housed a garage which was a Harley shrine. Anyways, my points were seized and I was back in action, totally saved my bacon. But they weren't finished with their hospitality also offering me a place to stay that night complete with dinner and beers. They were amused with my cross country trip on a 175cc, cant blame them. So, I guess there are good people on bikes and these Harley people were high up on the list. Craigar, your idea for an emergency $20 in the bike registration is duly noted,gonna do that!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I was riding one day and came upon a biker who waved me down, he had run out of fuel. The nearest fuel station was about 15 miles back the way I had come, no dwellings anywhere near. I told him to sit tight and I'd be right back. Went back to the gas station, bought a 1 gal can, filled it up with gas and went back. He dumped the gas in, gave me a $20 (can and fuel cost about $12) and told me to keep the can. He was riding a sport bike and couldn't find a way to carry the can and I had a bagged out cruiser with a trunk. I would hope he passed it along if he ever ran across someone in need.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Just a thought...if ya had your cell on ya maybe you could have done internet banking with the garage and paid that way, i had to do this last month cause i left my wallet at home.

I realise if its just a pay at pump only this wont be an option.[/quote]

Great suggestion. Unfortunately, I was in what some would consider a "Crack Area". So I figured that wouldn't fly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
bikers are a helpful group!!! at least on my 2016, when "---" start flashing I still have almost a gallon left in the tank. if not on highway, that's about 50 miles. Therefore to take full advantage of our 5.5 gallon tanks, I do not even think about gas until "---" starts flashing. I prefer to keep moving!! on bigger rides were gas stations are fewer, I do carry an MSR bottle with gas in a plastic tool tube. 30 oz fits perfectly. Gains me a few miles should I "Kramer" the gas warning light too far.....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
...Therefore to take full advantage of our 5.5 gallon tanks, I do not even think about gas until "---" starts flashing. I prefer to keep moving!! on bigger rides were gas stations are fewer, I do carry an MSR bottle with gas in a plastic tool tube. 30 oz fits perfectly. Gains me a few miles should I "Kramer" the gas warning light too far.....

Since I am still becoming acquainted with the 1000. I didn't want to push it. Nor did I want to push the bike either. Great call on the MSR bottle. I am also going set-up Apple Pay. That may or may have not helped in this situation. But couldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
943 Posts
In the late 70's - I rode a 450 Honda from Camp Lejeune, NC to 29 Palms, CA - and back.

The bike had some issues on the way back and some Harley guys picked up the bike on the side of the road and took me, and the bike to their garage. They spooned on some used tires, tuned it up and fixed the clutch cable and fed me - and the wives made me a huge care package of food and drinks and sent me on my way after keeping me for the night.

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
In the late 70's - I rode a 450 Honda from Camp Lejeune, NC to 29 Palms, CA - and back.

The bike had some issues on the way back and some Harley guys picked up the bike on the side of the road and took me, and the bike to their garage. They spooned on some used tires, tuned it up and fixed the clutch cable and fed me - and the wives made me a huge care package of food and drinks and sent me on my way after keeping me for the night.
No kidding - there are LOTS of REALLY good people out there, but unfortunately watching the TV news can make you believe the opposite!

:eek:penarms:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unfortunately around here there are a lot of folks "out of gas". I've watched people fill a gallon gas can for them, watched them thank them, pour it into their car nearby, hand the can to a different person and start over again.

I love to help people in need out, but I don't want to feel like I've been ripped off for my good deeds.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts