Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a guy pull up next to me yesterday at a stop light. He was looking hard at my bike. I was sitting there with my modular helmet open to allow my head to breathe, and the guy looks at me and says "Hey, you spelt versus wrong ya know". I said "nope that's the name of the bike its a Kawasaki versys". He insisted "oh, well somebody spelt it wrong then cause there's no "y" in versus." At this point the light turns green and I take off. two sets of lights later he pulls up again... This time didn't say a word he was snapping pics with his cell phone shaking his head and laughing.
And I'm the idiot..:exactly:

·
Registered
601 Posts
:funnypost:
At least he knows how to spell.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
This time didn't say a word he was snapping pics with his cell phone shaking his head and laughing.
Just remember, it's you Versys them. And they got Google at their fingertips as they approach you from behind...at a red light...and they aren't slowing...:eek:

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
Should have told him its Japanese for "Eat ****" :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Had a guy pull up next to me yesterday at a stop light. He was looking hard at my bike. I was sitting there with my modular helmet open to allow my head to breathe, and the guy looks at me and says "Hey, you spelt versus wrong ya know". I said "nope that's the name of the bike its a Kawasaki versys". He insisted "oh, well somebody spelt it wrong then cause there's no "y" in versus." At this point the light turns green and I take off. two sets of lights later he pulls up again... This time didn't say a word he was snapping pics with his cell phone shaking his head and laughing.
Hah. From smug to embarrassed in one easy spelling lesson. Hope he does post his photos so a lot of people can tell him he's not as clever as he thinks. He must have been from Maine. :D

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
A local dealer near Anaheim, CA on the phone corrected me in my spelling from the way I pronounced it, and said, "It's spelled with a U and not a Y!" Needless to say, I did not buy a green 2014 model from him last December, 2014.

But actually, it is poor marketing in that it is a mental stumbling block for many who never pursue it further. Versus may have been a better name due to recognition and a meaningful tag. Because it is not a word, most people twist their forehead and forget it as soon as they turn around. I don't have time rationalizing a word to them.

I still think it's the best bike ever made, but the name was a rush job in their hurry to the market place upon model creation.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They forgot the 'u' in Peterbilt too... But, they're engineers not English majors.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had a '99 Concours before this and I called it "the Conk" for short. I cannot think of a clever or shorter version of Versys. Too bad, I liked calling my bike the Conk. But got tired of a lumbering a heavy 80's technology bike around.

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts

Great post & commentary....

As you yell over the sound of a backfiring Harley as they try to conVERS with you, tell them it's the more sophisticated rich cousin of the KLR.

Which they wont understand either. :topsecret:

Friend of mine who likes my bike pronounces it a "Ver---Seaz"

Or Ver-ceaze.

Hell, the Versys is a misunderstood bike even on the floor of a Kawasaki dealership.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Versus vs. Versys?

Makes a fine case for debadging, doesn't it? After having had several old Jeeps, I chose this as a replacement. I claim it to be a prototype dream machine fueled solely by my own wanderlust. Typical response is, "Huh?"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts