Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay Guys,
This is my first post but I've been reading the forum for a while now. It was all very helpful when deciding if to get a Versys or not (which I did last month).

I was thinking adventure touring and reading the rumours about a 'GS' Versys and wondering what a Versys would look like with a beak.

So when I had a few moments I knocked this up, what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah the front beak on my old GS was a great place to put a drink while waiting for them to try to figure the surging problem that three shops couldn't figure out. Drove it 3 yrs that way. Couldn't drive it 30 mph in town. BMW says they never had the problem although many owners still claim they do. Versys doesn't. Must be better engineers huh. Anyway the fender was useful for setting things on.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Since you asked - it's ugly. :badidea: It's the sort of thing people who are more concerned with how their bike looks rather than rides put high on the list of things a bike needs to be and adventure tourer. :devil:

And it's DR-Big style beak, not a GS style beak... ;)

Gustavo

·
Registered
61 Posts
if you take a look at the uk forum there is one how put on a high fender have to say it looks better than the beak design i like it he way it is but that just my opinion

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The GS gets my vote as the ugliest motorbike out there, hands down. I'd bet BMW designers make it that way intentionally, and lots of people seem to like the look. Not me. I can't imagine spending scarce farkle dollars to make my V look like a GS. I like balance, symmetry, and clean lines.

But whatever floats your boat. If everyone rode the same bike, motorcycling wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like it and have had the same idea for a while now. On your photo try cutting off the front part of the existing fender and black out the rear half. I think you will have a winner. IMHO

·
Registered
34 Posts
the front fendel ala GS might cause cooling problems as it creates some turbelance/cuts off some of the cool air stream which is headed towards the radiator, causing the wind to loose power to push through the fins.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Could be right. The front fender on the GS was made that way for a reason and for the GS and not the V. If you want to make it look so much like a GS just buy one. Never understand why people want to change a bike to look like something else. When i had my GS i made the comment to another GS rider about how ugly the bike looked and he said when you are rideing it you can't see it. True. Terrific rideing all round bike if they could ever get it perfected. Surgeing and ABS problems and the plastic tank on mine the first year they came out blistered with 2" bubbles. 1 1/2 years later they finally got me the metal replacement tank they switched to. Not much testing. Older BMW's i had and it was over 5 never had the problems the new ones seem to. Sold it for a Guzzi and never looked back. Had 3 more Guzzi's and a much better bike over the next 15 years. Made me mad was that the Factory says they have no problems always and absolutely no help. Some surged and some didn't have the problem so bad. Rep at a BMW ralley just replied that all fuel injected twins surged. Told him my Guzzi didn't. V doesn't. ABS would start flashing and i would have to shut it off and turn the motor back on to reset it each time. Give me the V any day.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am and idiot. I had three surging BMW's. I hate those guys, not the shops or the riders, just the company. They would never suck it up and admit their mistakes.

However, I like the beak.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Question: Is that just for looks?
What does it do?

One more: Will it hit the stock fender
in severe braking or landing a jump?

Not trying to be negative, just wondering...

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I wanted an overpriced, some what unreliable, over engineered motorcycle, I would of bought a GS. There's a reason why I don't own a BMW.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As for BMWs

My brother has a poster with the caption "BMW... making mechanics out of motorcycle riders for fifty years" He has two Beemers. To each his own. I don't have the time to work on a bike. It takes away from the ride time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts