Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on how to make the plastic peg go back into its rubber hole? One side went in fine and on the other side it sticks out stubbornly. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,617 Posts
When I'm getting ready to replace the side-fairings that have those grommets, I just 'dribble' a bit of WD40 onto my finger, then rub it onto the grommet, and the fairing 'tit' slides in.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. I'm going to try those two. I'm going to pop out the grommet from the other side and use one method and then use the other method on the opposite side.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow. I'm going to try those two. I'm going to pop out the grommet from the other side and use one method and then use the other method on the opposite side.
Now we're talking. A true double blinded comparison study to prove the awesomeness of WD-40. It will further the Legend Of Eddie!!!>:)

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Water Evaporates

I had a unusual situation when I was modifying the Thermo-bob on the 2015, initially the thermostat hose was putting pressure on the fairing, causing the rear most part to pop out of the grommet . Keep in mind spit is water and evaporates , all other lubes leave a film, so easy in = easy out. Later I bought a manufactured 90' hose and installed the T-Bob #4 for snow bikes. Also keep in mind some lubes will attack the rubber.

·
Registered
635 Posts
onewizard;1607535 Also keep in mind some lubes will attack the rubber.[/QUOTE said:
Thats right. Lithium grease or Silicon sprays are recommended as they are not solvent based.Might not matter on a rubber grommet but on important parts of machinery that could be degraded by solvents could be. I keep a tube of bicycle lithium grease around,very handy stuff!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Perhaps the peg isn't perfectly aligned with the hole....I went to the same trouble the other day and just reversed the sequence of installation. Worked like a charm! Try this if adding butter doesn't work :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've found that the X300 has particularly difficult pegs to remove and reinstall, and so have applied a light smear of grease to the pegs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I tried penetrating solvent that I had and it seemed to work on one side. On the other rubber grommet, I sprayed some white lithium grease. The plastic pegs went in further than before but I had to punch them further in. On the side with the white lithium grease, the peg wasn't as further in as the peg on the other side with the penetrating solvent so what I did was spray solvent over the white lithium grease and it seems to have helped somewhat.

The fit and finish isn't exact on either side but someone just mentioned the grommets and pegs being difficult on the Versys X 300.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Pledge Furniture Polish

I've been using it for years on rubber grommets, etc. It's very slick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts