Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle side heated grip came loose and tried to glue it back on yesterday with some renthal grip glue.....took the old glue off and sanded it lightly then cleaned it and put the glue and grip on and waited 24 hrs. Went out to check it and is like still wet? It got down to freezing but was in the 50's. The grip does go on with little resistance but there was a nice even layer of the new glue. I peeled the new stuff off but thought I would ask the forum....Suggestions?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I put the aftermarket heated grips on my '09 last year, the throttle side went on way easier than any grip I've ever put on, to the point it turned freely on the throttle tube. I took it off, wrapped a few layers of duct tape around the throttle tube, added a little grip glue and put it back on. So far it seems to be staying in place, even after running the heat on next to the highest setting. But I will be keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I tried Renthal grip glue, once. I think it's useless but that's just me, seems to be nothing but contact cement to me. I went back to Pro-Taper super glue. Only problems with it are once you start to slide the grip on DON'T stop or it'll set right then and there and that's the end of that grip. Second make sure you cover the bike with plastic sheet to catch any that drools out as it will trash the paint.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
I thought about the duct tape since my grip also slides on with little resistance...might have to go pick up some Pro-Taper

Used to use duct tape and wipe it down with a little gas then slip the grip on....Never had an issue..

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I used a few dabs of clear (small project) Liquid Nails. I didn't use much, just about three or four little dabs. The Liquid Nails is alot thicker than grip glue so it should bond better to a loose grip. My heated grips weren't what I would call "loose" but without adhesive they would slip on and off by hand. My heated grips have been on for about 6 months with no issues.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
If you use the hair spray, you probably don't need the duct tape. Unless the grip is just way loose now. If you need to use tape, Hockey tape (or friction tape) may work better.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I went with gorilla tape due to the heated grip and some hairspray and it is on there good and tight. One issue was as I wrestled the grip on I had one small drip of hairspray remove some of the K in the Kawasaki sticker. Fixed it with a silver paint pen. Other than that it worked great. Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
19,771 Posts
Used to use duct tape and wipe it down with a little gas then slip the grip on....Never had an issue..
I'm w/ Joe on using a bit of gasoline....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts