Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read another post on here about over-tightining the chain and getting some grinding noies....I think I have done this to my Bike. I have ordered a new chain and sproket set (thanks for your posts on what i should get) and then went outside to tighten my chain so it wont "slap around" untill i get the new stuff in. I wasn't paying attention and i overtightened the chain, and then loosened it back to where it should be. But when i drove down the driveway to test it out, I immedeatly heard this bad grinding sound. I went back, loosened it some more and still got the grinding. So i put it on back tire stand and took off the chain cover and turned the back tire/chain and there is definatly some grinding going on around the front sprocket area... WHAT HAVE I DONE!! This is my daily driver... lol and my only veichle! So it makes perfect sence that I just screwed something up haha. Please help :dgi:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think it would take a lot to screw up your countershaft and / or seals in the short amount of time that your chain was too tight, but I suppose it is possible. When you remove the CS sprocket to install the new one, check the seal. "Grinding sound" can be interpreted a thousand different ways. Any way to post a UTube video of you free-spinning the wheel on a stand? That might help some of the forum members diagnose the issue.

·
Registered
642 Posts
As my chain/sprocket set came to the end of its useful life, I got a whole lot more grinding sound out of it at low speeds, and a bit of whine at higher speeds. I noticed significant wear on the front sprocket. That was at 18800 miles. I also had to start adjusting it more frequently. When you tighten your chain, do you measure the play in the chain before re-tightening your rear axle nut? Did you make sure that the chain was properly aligned after tightening/loosening it?

How many miles are on your chain/sprockets?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Is your rear wheels aligned correctly? The chain plates could be grinding the with the teeth due to misaligned wheel. U can see it on the rear sprocket where the teeth is skewed to one side of the chain.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It just occurred to me that the front sprocket 'thickness' may be different from the stock sprocket causing an offset in position. Hence the chain could be in some sort of an environment just like in a racing bicycle multiple gear deraileur system during a gear change. I can't find a better way to describe it.

You may have placed the new sprocket on the wrong side in. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts