Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My other motorcycle is a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST. I love that bike and have had it for 6 years. It had been my sole vehicle since I moved to SoCal. Unfortunately and accident has left it in need of repair. Needing transport asap, I picked the Versys up off of craigslist as I had ridden one before and liked it. All was well until a dead battery left me stranded in the middle of nowhere at a gas station today. My first thought was a bad stator, especially since the previous owner had dropped it on the left side and a jump would get it started but as soon as the cables were disconnected it would die. A post in the technical forum coming soon! I was able to get a tow to a tiny-one-man-in-his-own-garage shop, that some how was also in the middle of nowhere, thanks to my AMA membership. After a bunch of tinkering with battery testers and volt meters, Charlie gave me a charged up used battery that sorta fit with some persuasion and some creative wiring, and that got me home. Now to figure out what is going on! The new battery seems to be staying above 13v when the bike is running. Testing the stator output with my volt meter per the service manual gives ok numbers, *shrug* maybe it was just the battery somehow? Like I said, post coming to the technical forum.

·
Administrator
9,010 Posts
Detail In link provided

My other motorcycle is a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST. I love that bike and have had it for 6 years. It had been my sole vehicle since I moved to SoCal. Unfortunately and accident has left it in need of repair. Needing transport asap, I picked the Versys up off of craigslist as I had ridden one before and liked it. All was well until a dead battery left me stranded in the middle of nowhere at a gas station today. My first thought was a bad stator, especially since the previous owner had dropped it on the left side and a jump would get it started but as soon as the cables were disconnected it would die. A post in the technical forum coming soon! I was able to get a tow to a tiny-one-man-in-his-own-garage shop, that some how was also in the middle of nowhere, thanks to my AMA membership. After a bunch of tinkering with battery testers and volt meters, Charlie gave me a charged up used battery that sorta fit with some persuasion and some creative wiring, and that got me home. Now to figure out what is going on! The new battery seems to be staying above 13v when the bike is running. Testing the stator output with my volt meter per the service manual gives ok numbers, *shrug* maybe it was just the battery somehow? Like I said, post coming to the technical forum.
Funny, several members in the last 2 months have joined for the same reason, as to stator failure and charging problems, something must be leaking out that there is a source of knowledge on this forum :eek::huh:

More detail under stator testing in How To Forum but access is limited, relevant posts have been copied here. Feel free to post photos and questions in this thread. I can move later.
https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/13-member-only-group-rides-other-topics/218489-stator-testing-low-hi-beams-dead.html

·
Premium Member
16,100 Posts
:welcome: from SoCal.... Hopefully it was just the battery...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts