Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2015 Versys 650 owner here.

Found these forums while doing research on the the Versys 1000 and Versys 650. They proved themselves to be quite useful to me as I made my decision as to which of the two bikes to get, so thank you to all that have posted information and reviews about them. It definitely helped, especially with some of the lesser known, less reviewed and less talked about shortcomings that never seem to make it into the "professional" bike reviews. I was able to come into this knowing full well what I was:smile2: and was not:frown2: going to get from the Versys 650.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:welcome:
Thank you, onewizard.

I've been following your various series regulator threads with great interest. One thing that I absolutely despise on my cars or bikes are charging system deficiencies. I use my cars for business, bikes for pleasure, but in either case, I do not appreciate breakdowns. Reading about the shunt regulator and stator problems due to the 100% demand cycling led me to add a series regulator to the list of upgrades that I performed over the last two months.

I purchased both a Polaris 4016868 and a Shindengen SH847 from Roadstercycle.com. I ended up using the SH847, since it is even beefier than the 4016868, though both of them dwarf the OEM regulator. It does require the aluminum mounting adapter plate that Jack at Roadstercycle sells, plus modifications to the plate holes in order to mount the SH847 in the stock location and orientation (it just fits). The 4016868 is pretty much a drop in replacement for the OEM, at least as far as physically mounting it is concerned. You do still need to buy an electrical harness with the required Furukawa connectors in order to plug the bike into the regulator. I used the wiring kit that Roadstercycle sells for $50, which allowed me to wire up directly to the battery. After that, it's a rock solid 14+ volts at all times except idle with heated grips, high beam, GPS and phone all on at the same time. It also eliminates the delayed headlight turn on feature, which I didn't care for.

Now, I just need to remove the lowering kit that the previous owner installed on the bike and it should be exactly the way that I want it.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
SH847 / Polaris 40168968

Thank you, onewizard.

I've been following your various series regulator threads with great interest. One thing that I absolutely despise on my cars or bikes are charging system deficiencies. I use my cars for business, bikes for pleasure, but in either case, I do not appreciate breakdowns. Reading about the shunt regulator and stator problems due to the 100% demand cycling led me to add a series regulator to the list of upgrades that I performed over the last two months.

I purchased both a Polaris 4016868 and a Shindengen SH847 from Roadstercycle.com. I ended up using the SH847, since it is even beefier than the 4016868, though both of them dwarf the OEM regulator. It does require the aluminum mounting adapter plate that Jack at Roadstercycle sells, plus modifications to the plate holes in order to mount the SH847 in the stock location and orientation (it just fits). The 4016868 is pretty much a drop in replacement for the OEM, at least as far as physically mounting it is concerned. You do still need to buy an electrical harness with the required Furukawa connectors in order to plug the bike into the regulator. I used the wiring kit that Roadstercycle sells for $50, which allowed me to wire up directly to the battery. After that, it's a rock solid 14+ volts at all times except idle with heated grips, high beam, GPS and phone all on at the same time. It also eliminates the delayed headlight turn on feature, which I didn't care for.

Now, I just need to remove the lowering kit that the previous owner installed on the bike and it should be exactly the way that I want it.
Well I knew about Roadster and had links in some of my Polaris posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
Well I knew about Roadster and had links in some of my Polaris posts,
[/B]
I agree with you concerning the cost, although I should note that the SH847 kit does include the wiring harness in the $200 price. I purchased an extra harness for another bike, so the $50 I mentioned is for just an extra separate harness.

I remember that I had an issue with the Polaris 4016868 not passing some diode tests on upon receipt and I was concerned about using it, not knowing if a series regulator should check out like a regular shunt type. So, I decided to go with the SH847 from Roadstercycle, as he tests out all of his regulators before shipping them out.

The 4016868 also wins out in the mounting department, since it bolts up in the stock OEM Location (on Gen 3 Versy 650's, anyway), not requiring an additional adapter plate for mounting. Any one considering this upgrade should go the 4016868 route, unless they can't find a used one anywhere or Polaris decides to increase the price of new ones beyond the SH847 kit.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
Positive Reply

I agree with you concerning the cost, although I should note that the SH847 kit does include the wiring harness in the $200 price. I purchased an extra harness for another bike, so the $50 I mentioned is for just an extra separate harness.

I remember that I had an issue with the Polaris 4016868 not passing some diode tests on upon receipt and I was concerned about using it, not knowing if a series regulator should check out like a regular shunt type. So, I decided to go with the SH847 from Roadstercycle, as he tests out all of his regulators before shipping them out.

The 4016868 also wins out in the mounting department, since it bolts up in the stock OEM Location (on Gen 3 Versy 650's, anyway), not requiring an additional adapter plate for mounting. Any one considering this upgrade should go the 4016868 route, unless they can't find a used one anywhere or Polaris decides to increase the price of new ones beyond the SH847 kit.
Just a FYI, most posts on this forum are positive in nature and this is a very friendly community

:thanx:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts