Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great to find this community. I m based in SoUth Africa and I recently bought a 2008 Versys 650 with around 100 000 km's on it.

This is going to be a restoration project sorts but mostly want to get it looking acceptable and safe and start riding.

I am somewhat new to motorcycles, but mechanically quite capable woth cars and boats, so this really exciting for me.

The bikes engine is in great condition and runs like a top. Has a nice sounding aftermarket pipe, but it's unstable to ride, has a water pump oil leak needs some cosmetic work as well

Previous owner changed the rear to be "ninja like", which i am not sure I like, but the first task is to eliminate the green and get it through roadworthy and feeling stable when I ride.

The bike feels somewhat loose in that it feels like the front and rear are disconnected. I corrected tyre pressure and that did a lot but it's still not right. (Have a 2014 versys which is rock solid to compare it to)

Any pointers in what to start with would be highly appreciated.

The front fork seals seem to have even recently done and are not leaking.

Here are a few pictures.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Sky

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

Hand Finger Artifact Nail Fashion accessory

Wood Plant Automotive tire Gas Bicycle part

·
Registered
139 Posts
Weicome from New Zealand.Ive got an 09 that I like.The best mods I made are Nitron shock and Gold valves in the forks.Made a whole new bike.Get the best tyres you can afford,Ive got Micelin road 5,very good grip.With the tyre pressures go up and down to find the best feel for your riding and road type.All the advice you need is on this forum.

Happy riding

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
545 Posts
Welcome from Georgia in the US! Good luck with the repairs - lots 650 specific of knowledge and experience on here to help you out 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
WELCOME aboard!

FWIW - I run my tires ('08 V650 plus '15 V650) at 36F, 42R on EVERY surface, and my Vs feel very 'connected'.
Have you checked that the rear wheel is aligned?

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts