Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have those lights on my bike and they are pretty cheap, especially the mounts. They vibrate like a cheap hooker on a hotel bed. It is my expectation that one day they will vibrate right off of the bike and onto the road.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Watch out for these first set of lights part of the mounting set up uses the aluminum fins to hold the mounting platform together with a small 3to4 mm bolt.
Over a short time the vibrations cause the fins to wear thin and the mounts start to rattle. Which in turn causing the the small hole in the mounting block to oblong.
The larger bolt from the steel mount to the aluminum block is good but the second part is a bad design.
you can barely see the bolt in this photo

I had bought these lights on ebay and was able to get my money back through a ebay buyer protection. Almost missed it by 2 days. As the seller knew about the problems and tried to stall me till the 45 day ebay guarantee was up.

I think the second light is a little better design.

Just for any body who has the lights with the fins. I added some window urethane in between the fins to stop the vibration and glue the whole mounting setup together. Something a friend had in his garage that was a left over when he put in a windshield. Its worked so far except one of the lights stopped working shortly after. I am sure you could use silicon sealer as well .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The value of this forum at work! Motorjunkee is right, I check that bolt and it was in fact lose. Tried to tighten it and it stripped through very easily. Will be returning these. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Watch out for these first set of lights part of the mounting set up uses the aluminum fins to hold the mounting platform together with a small 3to4 mm bolt.
Over a short time the vibrations cause the fins to wear thin and the mounts start to rattle. Which in turn causing the the small hole in the mounting block to oblong.
The larger bolt from the steel mount to the aluminum block is good but the second part is a bad design.
you can barely see the bolt in this photo

I had bought these lights on ebay and was able to get my money back through a ebay buyer protection. Almost missed it by 2 days. As the seller knew about the problems and tried to stall me till the 45 day ebay guarantee was up.

I think the second light is a little better design.

Just for any body who has the lights with the fins. I added some window urethane in between the fins to stop the vibration and glue the whole mounting setup together. Something a friend had in his garage that was a left over when he put in a windshield. Its worked so far except one of the lights stopped working shortly after. I am sure you could use silicon sealer as well .
Of course the lights on my Versys cost over $200. Those fins on the ebay lights look like heat sinks. If they are needed to sink the heat then filling them with urethane will probably cause them to overheat and stop working.

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Of course the lights on my Versys cost over $200. Those fins on the ebay lights look like heat sinks. If they are needed to sink the heat then filling them with urethane will probably cause them to overheat and stop working.
You get what you pay for.....:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good reason to shop amazon, you get back what you don't want to pay for. They are doing the return shipping with a full refund and now I get to try something new - thanks Amz!

·
Premium Member
16,105 Posts
Good reason to shop amazon, you get back what you don't want to pay for. They are doing the return shipping with a full refund and now I get to try something new - thanks Amz!

·
Registered
720 Posts

I put my led (2x10w) under the blinking and no vibrations

I like your idea, somewhat similar to mine, but should be able to handle heavier lights than my setup.

Here's mine, using an L-bracket to hold a 3w "eagle eyes" LED as my DRL.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts