Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Versys that I am really enjoying, except for one item in particular. At very slow speeds, any application of the brakes, however slight, results in what seems to be a hard application of the brakes. This is most noticeable when slowly pulling up to a gas pump, pushing the bike into the garage. etc. If the handle bars are turned even slightly during the application, the momentum wants the bike to tip away from the direction of the front wheel. When applied with the wheel straight, the forks compress like a pogo stick. Once the bike is moving any faster then above, I have no issue with the brakes grabbing or coming to a stop. The brakes are easy to apply with little pressure (I just don't seem to be able to apply little enough pressure). My other bike does not exhibit this tendency. Is this normal? Is there some "fix" to alleviate this?

I appreciate any advice that would help me with this.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Sounds like your front suspension isn't set up quite right. The Versys does dive a bit and there are a few threads here on some things that can be done to help this.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I had grabby brakes at around 13,000 miles. I tried cleaning the calipers and futzing with the bobbins but that didn't fix it. New HBC pads solved the problem and improved front brake feel noticeably.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys.

Following are responses/answers as prompted by the above posts:

I haven't adjusted the suspension yet (I have printed off a copy from this forum on how to do so) . However, it does not exhibit an excessive amount of dive when braking from speed.

When braking from speed the brakes are easy to modulate and seem to be fairly adequate. I have made several very fast stops, but have had no need for absolute panic stops....yet.

The bike has about 5,000 miles on it.

Does any of this info help aid in the diagnosis?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Occam's razor says basically that the simplest explanation is best. If your brakes are grabby, they most likely are the problem. Service the brakes before looking for other explanations. Good luck and update the thread with your results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you check to see if any of the caliper mounting bolts are loose?
Good idea. I'll check that and see if that helps. If not then I will clean the discs and pads to see if that helps. I probably won't be able to get to that until Saturday as my KZ has got my lift tied up and I need to wrap it up to free the lift. I'll update the thread with the results.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Good idea. I'll check that and see if that helps. If not then I will clean the discs and pads to see if that helps. I probably won't be able to get to that until Saturday as my KZ has got my lift tied up and I need to wrap it up to free the lift. I'll update the thread with the results.
What KZ are you talking about? I have an 02 KZ1000P.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Try bleeding the brakes calipers a bit. smoothing the brake pads rough spots can help.
Check if the brake fluid is not overfilled.

Good if could lift up the front and give the front wheel a spin. see it anything is touching excessively. Apply the brakes to see all is ok. Check if any bent on the front wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts