Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well crud, my V has flown the coup. Some one has taken it away from me:surprise:
On Saturday I went out side to do some work on it , and dang.. its parking spot was empty.
I guess that my 09 green V was just to tempting and some one really wonted it , bad enough to
take it away from me:crying:
I will see how much the insurance company will pay me for it , then I will decide
on if to replace it or pocket the money and put new parts on my car or both
There is no Smillies with a grey cloud hanging over them

P.S. I have been looking at GPS trackers for bikes
and there are some good ones out there,, any thoughts on these trackers would be appreciated
I am going to start a thread, I have been told by police that if a thief wants a bike bad enough, they will get it, a alarm may work, however knowing where the bike is, solves 2 problems, it catches the thief and also gets your bike back . With all the modifications on my bike, the insurance would never cover the parts and labour I have invested.

·
Premium Member
9,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I found https://www.itfactory.ca/trackimo-3g-guardian-gps-tracker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIofvKgMXk2gIVmksNCh3faQ2xEAYYAyABEgIlifD_BwE#fo_c=79&fo_k=c3ea9358b08d55fa3ae5932696f6cd8c&fo_s=gplaca

My thought is as I expressed in the first post, involves both a bike alarm or tracking device. Many times thieves are watching to see if a alarm is present, once they discover it is, they sometimes work in pairs, one keeps tripping the alarm until the owner disables it, it only takes minutes, a simple disconnecting of the battery and the bike is steal-able. One person follows the owner and the other steals the bike, when it is gone, chances aren't good to find it.
Like I said, it may happen at your house, you think it is a dog or cat,you get tired of resetting it and take a chance, next thing it is gone. My preference would be to be able to know where the bike went, without the thief knowing, and that means telling no one you installed it except possibly the insurance company ( if a discount is available ).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've thought about a tracker. Looking on Amazon, it seems most (if not, then all) have some sort of service contract for monitoring.

Personally, I'd rather have something that I can simply "ping" to get its location via GPS, then give that info to the police (assuming that's needed). Why would I need a monthly contract for something like that?

I like the idea of a tracking unit, but it seems too many companies will use this as an excuse to take money from people monthly for a service they will need once or a few times at best.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
with so much technology available why cant factory have personal setting for bike like owner thump print /digital password to activate or else no system will work. we have lived for a century with the KEY system and its about time we go digital..

Just a thought

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think you have to consider - do you want to disable the bike from being started, or attempt to lock it up in it's tracks, with an alarm or something audible to supplement that. I like the idea of being able to track it, but it's mostly likely going to cost you money on a monthly basis.

I would guess a person could rig a hidden toggle to interrupt the fuse going to the fuel pump, etc. Or, if the bike was going to be left somewhere for an overnight or extended time, just pull the fuse.

As far as trying to lock up a bike in place, I have heard of large Harley's going missing by skinny hoodlums that rock them onto a pair of skate boards and they are quickly and silently gone and out of sight, with an awaiting truck or trailer around the corner working with them.

I have an idea for something like a simple Mercury switch so when the bike is tilted off the side stand to an upright position to be attempted to be rolled away or started, it might blow the horn and flash my pulsing rear LED brake light. Just an idea.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i have a cheap ($20 i think) alarm off ebay on my bike and its prevented sylvester getting stolen twice that i know of back when i lived in north portland. as for gps tracker, on some of my other bikes in the past i just took one of those pay as you go (boost) phones hid it on the bike wired into a switched power supply so it was always charging and if the bike got stolen i could go on there website activate it and trace it

·
Registered
141 Posts
silviefox, I like the idea of a pay as you go phone for tracking. Probably cheapest option long term

"pay as you go (boost) phones hid it on the bike wired into a switched power supply"

·
Registered
217 Posts
OneWizard
I am not sure if I can drop names on this forum you may need to delete this one.
I have been looking at the( Scorpio) alarm systems made for motorcycles
and there are a lot of options , they aint cheep, but very good quality
with a lot of options with there alarm systems
it is worth taking a look at

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
OneWizard
I am not sure if I can drop names on this forum you may need to delete this one.
I have been looking at the( Scorpio) alarm systems made for motorcycles
and there are a lot of options , they aint cheep, but very good quality
with a lot of options with there alarm systems
it is worth taking a look at

I put a Scorpio Alarm on my 09 Versys back in 2010. It was a very nice system. It would alarm and un-alarm itself depending on how close or away you got from the bike. If some one got too close it would start to chirp at them. It only went off once while i was having lunch with a buddy in Santa Ana. The key fob in my pocket started vibrating and by the time i got out back. No one was close to the bike but there was a group of guys that looked like they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar close by...

IMG_0113 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had received a phone call on Saturday night about 11:00 pm from the Mesquite Texas police dept. the officer told me that they
had recovered my V ,, (( It is no longer the fast green color, the thief had repainted it !!,,)) which now belongs to State Farm.
I had taken the insurance money and put down on a 2018 Chevy Cruz ,, man I LIKE that little car.
so needless to say that I am now a cagier only now,,, I may not get another bike even though I really like to ride.
But I would like to stick around this site and read the post on this forum if you folks do not mind

·
Registered
307 Posts
As for cheap, can't you just wire up and hide a burner phone on the bike? Then if the bike is stolen, just track the phone. No monthly subscription, they are relatively cheap and you always have an emergency back up phone.

Randy

·
Super Moderator
19,179 Posts
...But I would like to stick around this site and read the post on this forum if you folks do not mind
Stick around - who knows, you just MIGHT get another V!

:wink2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike.

I don't have a Versys yet, but all of these guys and gals that do keep me entertained in my spare time. I'd stick around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts