Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to mount my Zumo 550 on my new 2011 Versys, this is what I want but doesn't appear that MotoWerk makes it for a 2010+ model...

any help would be awesome

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think most folk would prefer to have the GPS mounted above the clocks. I haven't seen any well designed item that is yet available to do this, so I am somewhat like the above post with a long ram arm fitted to the handlebar clamp which places the unit below the clocks. It's not too bad actually as regards to taking your eyes off the road, but I await a better solution for the 2020/11 models.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
4,523 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I got the twisted throttle mount. I don't really look at the GPS while riding because I am too busy looking for those trying to kill me. ;) I use the bluetooth and listen for the directions. In bright sunlight with polarized sunglasses on there isn't much to see anyway.

IMG_0390 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0391 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Mine is positioned like Capn Kirk's, but with a Ram mount ball that is on a bolt that substitutes for one of the handlebar clamp bolts. Very clean.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Im cheap so i brought a waterproof cover/mount for GPS first then going to buy a cheap GPS and try out. We do not have a GPS so we we also use the GPS in the vehicles when we travel as it must be so much easier to find a place than a map.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
The cover looks good buddy and any link for cover.

:cheers:
Its on a NZ auction site called trademe, main site in NZ. It cost me $55.00 NZ all up including freight, don't think they ship international. Have also ordered on same site a charger for my cell. Once I have the new cover i will purchase a cheaper gps unit that fits it correctly.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Those covers are usually very hard to see through in sunlight.
Understand that but this is a trial of setting up cheap, I do not require a GPS that often but may go for a big ride next jan up to the north island of NZ and there I do not know the roads. NZ not a big place so even if i have to stop every so often to check the GPS and the road are pretty well signposted anyway. What a GPS will do for me is help me find someones place in larger cities rather than my old stop and look at map, stop at garages ask for instructions current method (the old fashioned way) and it will also help me get back onto main roads when I detour off track.

Cannot justify at this stage a water proof GPS as cost here can be expensive for bike specific GPS so the cheaper car version will do for my trial.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I totally understand going the cheap route. I have an older Garmin c340 that I bought for $35 shipped. Lots of people don't know that you get one free update on the Garmin’s and sure enough this one was eligible for a free update. I just stick it to the bikes windshield and I put a couple zip ties on it just in case the suction cup fails. I will just take it down in the rain or just put a zip lock bag over it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
GPS mount for Versys 2011

I have a 2009 and a 2011 Versys, Here is my own design to mount the RAM for the Garmin Nuvi 760, and Motorola holder. 2x 12VDC sockets, switch to power 12VDC, switch for automatic chain lube, and switch for external lights.
I made two sets for the 2011 model, I am using one set and tested, it works fine after 1400miles. So I can sell the second set.
Also it has a PTT to communicate to a car/motorcycle. And listen music from the GPS. Without taken the hand out of the clutch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts