Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a GPS/Nav app for my iPhone. Google Maps works great for directions, but doesn't display MPH and some other important info that standalone GPS units show.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've been using Navigator. Its an open source GPS nav app that uses maps stored on your sd card so you aren't dependant on phone data connections and fees. Surely there is an equivalent for the iPhone.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looking for a GPS/Nav app for my iPhone. Google Maps works great for directions, but doesn't display MPH and some other important info that standalone GPS units show.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
I use Navigon (Garmin) on my IPhone 4 and am very pleased with it. It stores the maps on the phone and does not require a data connection.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
MotionX Drive is one I've been using. To get voice nav, speed limits, and a few other extras it's $9.99/year. If you have a trip where you know you will be out of cell range, you can tell it to cache the route in advance so you have a complete complex map of the entire route. Else it just looks about 20 miles ahead and keeps pulling in the latest map including traffic as you go along. I use it more in my car than on the moto.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have tried almost all of the GPS aps for the iPhone 4S with the exception of the full Garmin ap. My favorite is GPS CoPilot. It is free, but you have to pay for a few of the extra features. It works as well, and has just as many features as any of the Garmin or Tom Tom devices I have ever owned. It does not need data, and you can pick and choose which maps you want based on the memory you have.

Honestly, I don't know how Garmin is still in business. The iPhones internal GPS is so effective, it will even show me walking around inside my house on the map.

·
Registered
665 Posts
MotionX Drive fan here. Works great 99% of the time. It has lead me astray once and Google Maps got me to the right place. I notified MotionX and they fixed the database.

I also have Navigon but prefer MotionX.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Navigon....did 10000km tour in europe last summer and it was great...doing another tour in europe in three months from now but with my wife and still I will use it again...in fact I bought a used iphone 4 from ebay for only 45 usd, will install navigon on it and will have it permanently mounted on my bike! :)

By the way it works completely off line, you will download all the maps so that you require only gps signal..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
638 Posts
Most phone GPS links suck the life out of the battery real quick. Does everybody have their phone hardwired, and if so what was the process. I know some wiring items have been posted before, but thought I would add this question to the thread.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Most phone GPS links suck the life out of the battery real quick. Does everybody have their phone hardwired, and if so what was the process. I know some wiring items have been posted before, but thought I would add this question to the thread.
I hooked up a power outlet and use a charger cord for my Galaxy. Same thing will work on an Apple. I thought about hard wiring it in but decided not to. With the power outlet I can hook up many things, not all at once of course, to run/ charge them. I have a rechargeable flashlight, MP-3 player, if I don't want to use the phone, compressor. All I have to do is grab the right cord and plug it up.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Ah no... I can't think of a single reason to buy a $600+ dollar unit in favor of a smartphone.
Because a smartphone that has coverage everywhere you might ride requires an iridium satellite connection and that will be way more than the $535 I paid for a Zumo 660LM. Plus, I can use it in the rain, see it in the sun, use it to answer the phone without pulling the phone out of my pocket, stream music to my headset, work it with my gloves on, etc.

Smartphones are nice but around here you will spend at least $85 a month for a smartphone with limited features if you want nationwide coverage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Because a smartphone that has coverage everywhere you might ride requires an iridium satellite connection and that will be way more than the $535 I paid for a Zumo 660LM. Plus, I can use it in the rain, see it in the sun, use it to answer the phone without pulling the phone out of my pocket, stream music to my headset, work it with my gloves on, etc.

Smartphones are nice but around here you will spend at least $85 a month for a smartphone with limited features if you want nationwide coverage.
Iridium satellite... what? It uses GPS satellites. The price is a whopping $535 less than you paid for your $535 Garmin, on a two year contract with $44/month, taxes/fees included. (Koodo, Data 39, Tab) I have used it in Germany, France, Italy... and, yes, all over the USA, including my rental car drive to the Grand Canyon 3 weeks ago. All free. Nationwide Coverage? You don't need ANY data coverage. No data connection needed, just a WiFi connection to download the maps you want. My phone case is waterproof, and is as easy to read as a fellow riders TomTom Rider in the sun. You don't need gloves because it is voice activated and linked to my Sena SMH10.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am not an astronaut and I don't understand much the irritium or irridum..
here is my set up:

used iphone 4 (dedicated to the bike) : 40 USD
ram mount: 15 USD
Navigon: Europe 44, morocco, USA: free..
waterproof case: 12 USD

Total: 67 USD.

maps are downloaded offline. so you don't need data or anything else except your GPS signal..

I love my set up...traveled in europe last summer using it last and will be using it again this summer for another tour in europe...

Zuma cost : 550 USD - 67 USD = 483 USD

for 483 USD I bought:

givi V35 + rack for 320 USD
galfer brake lines (both front and rear): 50 USD
Kyruaky highway pegs : 63 USD

currently in Paris with my wife :loveeyes: where we went to a good restaurant for 50 USD :yeahsmile:

this is what I made out of the zumo cost :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Got the Motion X Drive app yesterday and gave it a little workout. Only cost $0.99, but then realized you have to pay the addtional $8.99/year for the continuted voice support systems. First month is free. Impressive app, but hard for me to view the IPhone 5 where it sits in my tank bag. so now am I am asking about types of mounts and water proof cases that you folks like. Will post up the question in a new thread.

·
Registered
87 Posts
new to the smart phone thing

I have a Galaxy 5. I'm new to this smart phone thing. Now what ap would work for me without eating my data up? I want to put the map for the Dakota Adventure loop on it. We're doing that on KLRs in a few weeks and I want to have my own navigation and not be dependent on others. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts