Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
Versys X 300
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yup! I always take a compass when hiking, and prefer a good old fashioned topo map.

I still have several slide rules, including one round aviation specific model. I used that in the regional jet for years to keep proficient in case the GPS or FMS crapped out. There were some days we'd be back to "green needles" terrestrial nav and manual fuel calculations. Back in the day the military jammed GPS regularly. The era of dual GPS feeding dual FMS upped reliability substantially!

They went to the moon using a sextant and slide rule. I can get to my next camp site without GPS leading me by the nose.
That's cool. In 1985 two of us rode to Canada and back with the above instruments. We still marvel at how disconnected we were for that trip; 22 years old and free as the wind. Below is a picture taken in Canada on that trip. That's Lake Ontario behind me. I didn't even have a windshield... no heated gear... not a stitch of Goretex anywhere. :cool:

We both turn 60 in June and plan a motorcycle trip up Pacific Coast Highway in CA. I'll have my GPS and a Spot Satellite tracker to manage the wife's anxiety.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

· Super Moderator
22,251 Posts
As a little EXTRA - I NEVER go on a trip w/out knowing my route mentally when I start...!

· Registered
1,746 Posts
We both turn 60 in June and plan a motorcycle trip up Pacific Coast Highway in CA. I'll have my GPS and a Spot Satellite tracker to manage the wife's anxiety.
Cool trip!

I carry a satellite tracker for my wife's benefit when I go hiking or on a motorcycle trip. On the more remote trips I get comfort knowing I call send an SOS if I need help.

· Registered
27 Posts
I use a Garin Zumo (forgot the model #) on the bike. I’ve got at least three Garmins and have used their GPS units for years. I also create tracks and routes on Gaia which has a pretty easy website and app to use. (I like to hike and ride a bicycle too.) I download the tracks and/or routes to the GPS as a GPX file. It’s not too difficult. The hard part is buying maps for different countries. Garmin sells these at a premium, and the chips are time-limited. Found that out the hard way while lost one cold night in Germany last year. I’m trying out a third-party map provider for another trip soon (not motorcycle).

21 - 25 of 25 Posts