Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300; 14/46 sprockets (stock);
So... is it good enough to make you consider purchase?

Anything stand out as "extra good" ... or "disappointing" ?

Those are really sharp bikes for sure -- glad you got to ride it 馃榾

Registered
I agree. I think they should build something based on the Versys 300 but with the 650 engine.
Or the 400 or 500 engine for that matter 馃槈

Reactions: Dale and Fly-Sig

Registered
Or the 400 or 500 engine for that matter 馃槈
I believe they make a Versys 400 (ninja 400 engine) in some countries. Just not in the US.

Edit: I did some additional research and I guess there is no Versys 400 in some countries. I guess I had read how when the Ninja 400 came out, there was speculation of a Versys 400, but it hasn't happened yet.

Registered
There seems to be a lot of interest in the segment

I thought the rumored KLR650 that never happened with the 650 twin would have been interesting.
Then again it wouldn't take much to pull it off under another model name, Kawasaaki makes most of the necessary bits already.
Kawasaki may surprise us yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... is it good enough to make you consider purchase?

Anything stand out as "extra good" ... or "disappointing" ?

Those are really sharp bikes for sure -- glad you got to ride it 馃榾
I still need to ride the Tiger sport 660, and V85TT before I make a purchase consideration. Obviously, the Tuareg is the most off-road oriented of the 3, followed by the V85TT, and then the Tiger Sport.

The handling was very neutral. Suspension was phenomenal! Riding position was upright but the pegs seemed closer to the seat than I expected.

I followed the owner down one of our "Goat Trail" farm roads and you know how you watch the bike in front of you for an indication of any larger bumps ahead? Well, that taillight barely moved while the suspension soaked up the hits and kept the tire planted. It looked like the bike was just floating along.

The bike is truly set up for off-road so the handlebars are pretty wide and I'm not sure if I would like them on a long street ride.

The only way I could touch flatfoot was if I rolled forward and straddled the bike. The riding position can make you forget you are that far off the pavement so until it becomes muscle memory I had to think about stretching my leg down when i came to a stop.

It was still going through the break in miles so I'm sure it will have more power once the computer lets you rev and give it full throttle.

Registered
I still need to ride the Tiger sport 660, and V85TT before I make a purchase consideration. Obviously, the Tuareg is the most off-road oriented of the 3, followed by the V85TT, and then the Tiger Sport.

The handling was very neutral. Suspension was phenomenal! Riding position was upright but the pegs seemed closer to the seat than I expected.

I followed the owner down one of our "Goat Trail" farm roads and you know how you watch the bike in front of you for an indication of any larger bumps ahead? Well, that taillight barely moved while the suspension soaked up the hits and kept the tire planted. It looked like the bike was just floating along.

The bike is truly set up for off-road so the handlebars are pretty wide and I'm not sure if I would like them on a long street ride.

The only way I could touch flatfoot was if I rolled forward and straddled the bike. The riding position can make you forget you are that far off the pavement so until it becomes muscle memory I had to think about stretching my leg down when i came to a stop.

It was still going through the break in miles so I'm sure it will have more power once the computer lets you rev and give it full throttle.
Man, that suspension does sound great. Thanks for the review 馃憤馃徎

Registered
09 v650, 00'r1150gs, 83' r80rt
Aprilia makes a neat bike, the rotax engine is nearly indestructable in most applications. They (rotax) even make engines meant for airplanes. Like Super Cubs etc. They are neat setups.
I had a BMW branded Aprilia F650, it was called a funduro. kind of before BMW called them the GS. That bikes only real flaw was the "dual" carburetors. Otherwise it was pretty fun.

Cant say much for the KLR, Ive ridden them a few times in some less than ideal situations. Hell fire, Hails, Tornadoes, Stump-jumping, etc..250/450/650 versions all have their places.
I like the Suzuki DR650 that is a better machine for dirt. Down in Oz the folks call them Bush Pigs.
They (Suzuki) have been doing the same thing with the bike for more the 25 years. Its about time they came out with a non carbureted (FI) model. Lets see the abs removable....Maybe do something like keep the stock look.
They seem to be disappearing off the market in allot of countries because of this. But they have worked well more so then a KLR....Ish, anyways.

These versys are nice bike, they have some nice legs, but they could use a bit longer ones. And the 19" rim in front.......everything else is decent. Ish...with some modifications...ish

The newer f800GS by BMW is a fierce competitor to the Triumph and Yamaha/Honda adv bikes. Cant say anything bad about any of them, other than they cost way too much for what you end up with. I am seeing the lower smaller frame bike segment exploding soon. Which is good news for us Versys owners. We might get some new additions to our Kawasaki line?

Has anyone gone out and tried the Royal Enfield Himalayan? Its really low powered, not a crazy amount of torque. But it seems to be a fun little scooter. They will eventually evolve the bike into a proper adv with a 650 engine. Cant wait to see the actual stuff.
The Hindi Bike manufacturers are really catching up. The old school looks are selling, where the Japanese manufacturers got shut down, the Indian stuff is still being stocked.

We are already seeing the crazy market for used stuff. Resale values are weird.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aprilia makes a neat bike, the rotax engine is nearly indestructable in most applications. They (rotax) even make engines meant for airplanes. Like Super Cubs etc. They are neat setups.
I had a BMW branded Aprilia F650, it was called a funduro. kind of before BMW called them the GS. That bikes only real flaw was the "dual" carburetors. Otherwise it was pretty fun.

Cant say much for the KLR, Ive ridden them a few times in some less than ideal situations. Hell fire, Hails, Tornadoes, Stump-jumping, etc..250/450/650 versions all have their places.
I like the Suzuki DR650 that is a better machine for dirt. Down in Oz the folks call them Bush Pigs.
They (Suzuki) have been doing the same thing with the bike for more the 25 years. Its about time they came out with a non carbureted (FI) model. Lets see the abs removable....Maybe do something like keep the stock look.
They seem to be disappearing off the market in allot of countries because of this. But they have worked well more so then a KLR....Ish, anyways.

These versys are nice bike, they have some nice legs, but they could use a bit longer ones. And the 19" rim in front.......everything else is decent. Ish...with some modifications...ish

The newer f800GS by BMW is a fierce competitor to the Triumph and Yamaha/Honda adv bikes. Cant say anything bad about any of them, other than they cost way too much for what you end up with. I am seeing the lower smaller frame bike segment exploding soon. Which is good news for us Versys owners. We might get some new additions to our Kawasaki line?

Has anyone gone out and tried the Royal Enfield Himalayan? Its really low powered, not a crazy amount of torque. But it seems to be a fun little scooter. They will eventually evolve the bike into a proper adv with a 650 engine. Cant wait to see the actual stuff.
The Hindi Bike manufacturers are really catching up. The old school looks are selling, where the Japanese manufacturers got shut down, the Indian stuff is still being stocked.

We are already seeing the crazy market for used stuff. Resale values are weird.
I owned a heavily modified (by previous owner) '08 KLR650 that was a wonderful riding pig of a bike. I was more muscular then so could manhandle it off road.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant community Motor vehicle

Also owned the '19 Himalayan for 3 years, but sold it to finance the KLX300SM.

Tire Wheel Plant Motorcycle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Water Vehicle

Tire Cloud Wheel Plant Vehicle

Registered
I have watched a few video reviews. That motor sounds really good. I will wait until some real owners have had a chance to live with it for a bit. Good looking motorcycle for sure. Aprilia may have just carved themselves a nice niche. With a decent entry price point. But the OEM accessories will be pricey until some aftermarket support is available.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The KLX 300 in the first photo looks like it might provide some hoolie fun.
'cept I'm too old and fragile to perfect wheelies, stoppies, backing it in, or drifting. LOL!

For where I ride the SM is more interesting than the dual sport, but that doesn't stop me from going places I shouldn't.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Plant community

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

But this is where it shines.

Water Tire Sky Wheel Plant

Bicycle Wheel Tire Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Registered
My son has the Tuareg, and I the x300. On the backroads and trails I think that I have almost as much fun. Except that he has better power, travel, engine sounds, electronics, and ground clearance. But, I think that until the Aprillia is proven, I will stick to my dependable bike for now for long solo rides. But his is a hoot to ride.
Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Plant

Premium Member

1 - 20 of 21 Posts