Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got rid of my Versys yesterday. I have had it for 2.5 years and just never "connected" with it.

On paper it was the perfect bike for me. In real life, not so much.

I have had a few motorcycles in my life and one scooter. I think I had more fun on the scooter than anything else I have owned. The Yamaha Zuma 125 that I had before my Versys was just a little too small to be my only ride though.

So I was able to make an even trade. My 2011 Versys with 11,500 miles on it for a 2012 Suzuki Burgman with 375 miles on it.

The trade took place in Asheville, NC about 1 mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I figured there was no better place to have one last ride on my old bike and my first ride on my new bike.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Too bad about the V, but good luck with the new wheels. looks like a fun bike. Looks totally opposite.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Burgman really surprised me. It definitely has less power than the Versys but still has plenty.

I got to the place about an hour early yesterday. It was only about a mile from the parkway. I figured one last good right would be fun. The Speed limit is 45. On the Versys that felt like a good comfortable pace.

Then an hour later I was riding the same stretch of the Parkway on the Burgman. A bike that I had never ridden before. On it, 55 felt like a comfortable pace.

10 mph faster.:confused:

I guess the low center of gravity helps me feel more confident.

Who knows. I enjoyed my time on the Versys but I am happy with the change.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have a friend that rides one of those. Absolutely the last person I would ever expect to see on a scooter but he loves it. Good luck with it and have fun.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good luck with the Burgman, hope it's what you are looking for.

As someone with a Versys, a small scooter (Buddy 150) and a large scooter (Piaggio MP3 500) in the garage I can relate somewhat. Nothing puts a smile on my face more than the Buddy 150. Around town it is a blast. The large scooter however is just heavy, under powered with crap suspension. Never did bond with that, but I did with the Versys. I've never ridden a Burgman but know plenty of owners who love them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Best of luck with your new 2 wheels.

My brother has one and loves it to pieces. He rode a Harley for many years before acquiring The B.

Two wheelin' is two wheelin'. Just ride it like you stole it. :)

Happy trails with your new steed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
...10 mph faster.:confused:

I know the feeling. Scooters are a bit easier to ride, so at road speed they really can be more confidence inspiring. Their potential is obviously lower from a pure performance viewpoint, but I doubt many people really think they are using their motorcycles to their highest potential, so ride what makes you smile the biggest. Safe ride man, enjoy it!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the well wishes.

My wife and kids think that I am nuts for getting rid of the motorcycle and getting a scooter.:badidea:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The Burgman really surprised me. It definitely has less power than the Versys but still has plenty.

I got to the place about an hour early yesterday. It was only about a mile from the parkway. I figured one last good right would be fun. The Speed limit is 45. On the Versys that felt like a good comfortable pace.

Then an hour later I was riding the same stretch of the Parkway on the Burgman. A bike that I had never ridden before. On it, 55 felt like a comfortable pace.

10 mph faster.:confused:

My father in law had one after his hips were too bad to swing over a motorcycle. He loved it. Kept it until he got terminally ill then sold it. The guy he sold it to contacted him afterward to tell him how much he liked it.

I rode it and couldn't get used to how unstable it felt planted (I use the term very loosely) in a corner with those tiny wheels. I suppose in time I'd get accustomed to it, but I can't say it was love at first ride for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know a couple of guys that have 1000cc plus bikes and a scooter in the garage. One guys loves it for him & his wife. He recons he can keep up with most bikes through the twisties. Also great for blasting to the shops for stuff. He recovers seat for a living. He re did his, it looks like the most comfortable seat I've ever seen. Enjoy. It the journey that matters, not how you get there.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That's a real big trend in Europe. BMW and all the big motorcycle companies are in on the action. I've had a few motorcycles, mopeds, and small motorcycles: they are all fun.

Just be safe and get it on! It really is more convenient and economical, and I hear they are not bad performers either. I'm glad you got what you want :D
Suzuki's are good on resale value too. That looks like a good 2nd bike for me also, if I could find one at a decent price - ?? Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Maybe it's just me but the scooters have no middle tank or structure for the thighs to grip onto when making turns/cornering. All hand effort (unless it's a long sweeper). They're heavy to push too (for me) but horses for courses - important is that you like it :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Most have probably watched this at one time, but for those that have not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8amppGTKWkY
Lol, the scooter can hold a pizza and all Honda's have 8" from seat to foot pegs. That's an unfair competition. The small wheels of the scooter are a Chinese feature for instable handling. Anything less than 17" wheels would be funky for me to ride on. And used Burgman's cost the same as used Vs. 650's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts