Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Got One!

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  bearcat 
#1 · (Edited)

Having been a member here since 2008 I finally did it, picked up an 08 Versys with 2000 miles on the clock. I thank God for being in a good position to purchase the bike. Having spent the last year vacillating between a 2nd generation Yamaha FZ1 and Versys, the Kawi was chosen. Comparing the two bikes was like comparing apples and oranges, however, they both were on the short list. I still think the FZ1 is very nice bike.:cool:

I spent much time getting price quotes on closeout 09 models. Out of nowhere a slightly used 08 popped up on Craigslist and the rest is history.

Last week I test rode a used 07 FZ1 but just could not bring myself to commit to a purchase. The I-4 engine was so smooth and effortless. I hit 65 mph in about .0002 seconds! I was tormented on making the purchase so decided to cool my heels and wait.

Previously I put 7000 miles on a 06 Ninja 650R, thus had a good idea of how the Versys would perform. I did not even have to test ride one block on the Versys and I knew this was it. Would 800-900cc be nicer? Sure it would, but the “little” 650 has enough steam to get the job done. I wanted something practicable, got good mpg, cheap to insure, easy to ride around town, commute 40 miles RT on the freeway, and ride 200 mile loops for weekend fun. It now sits in the garage…the Versys. With the Kawi you can “ride” it, if that makes any sense. Because it is a 650 you have the option of working it a little harder than a liter bike. In other words you don’t have to break the sound barrier to feel like you are going fast. A liter bike is so easy they don’t even begin to hit their stride until 80 mph and then you are into ticket territory and just trouble in general!

Above is a quick picture after unloading the bike in a down pour in Washington state.

Thanks to all the members here for contributing their Versys input. :thanx: I spent many a hour lurking, researching, re-researching, and second guessing. There are no perfect bikes but I will have fun with this one.:thumb:

Andy

See less See more
#7 ·
Way to go... Feels good to get something you really want. I didn't even know about the versys when i started bike hunting was looking at a klr or something similar for cheap commute to work then found the versys and bingo had to have it. Theres seems to be a lot of guys on here that wanted something else and settled for the versys.The more i see the red v the more i like that color always had red cars but on bikes no red ones.

#8 ·
Thanks guys. I had a KLR and it was fine, never worried about it, it was two wheels of low budget fun. I did get tired of the I-5 commute... combat riding 40 miles round trip. It just did not have enough roll on power to get away from weird traffic situations (at least for my liking). The KLR shined on back roads and gravel roads.

The Versys has basically the same powertrain as 650R Ninja and it did great on the I-5 commute. Plus it had nice fuel economy. I got hung up on the "gotta have a liter bike" thought process. In a nut shell I beat myself up researching the liter bikes and how they fit with my daily utilization. No matter how I tried to justify it or re-cook the numbers in all honesty it did not add up. The Versys won.:cool:

#10 ·
The Versys has basically the same powertrain as 650R Ninja and it did great on the I-5 commute. Plus it had nice fuel economy. I got hung up on the "gotta have a liter bike" thought process. In a nut shell I beat myself up researching the liter bikes and how they fit with my daily utilization. No matter how I tried to justify it or re-cook the numbers in all honesty it did not add up. The Versys won.:cool:
I did the same thing, wanted the Ninja 1000. Just could not justify the extra cost, compared to the Versys. I still have my KLR650 and for back road riding on the weekend, it's great. I like the extra power of the Versys on the highway, traffic here goes 70 to 75 most of the time.

Mark

#11 ·
congrats

:clap: good job! Your gonna love it... What handguards are those?

#13 ·
: What handguards are those?
I'm not sure who makes them but they have "Powermadd" molded on them. They come with a nice aluminum mount bracket. I'll post a few picks later, was having trouble with my Flicker account.

The bike came with a tall Givi wind screen, and Oxford heated grips. Never had heated grips before, this is a treat! It also came with a lowering link. I think I'm going to keep the lowering link installed so my wife can ride the bike.
I'm from a dirt bike background so my ego gets in the way, as long as I can get a toe down it's good to go! Better to leave it for my wife than raise the bike back up to stock height.

For those of you not familiar with the Pacific Northwest we are getting hit with the Pineapple Express. It's a long-soggy wet weather system blowing in from the Hawaiian island area of the Pacific Ocean. I ain't ridin' in that! The bike and I are going to be in the garage for a few days. Albeit rain is better than getting hammered by snow fall...

#12 ·
Fantastic. You even GOT ONE with the best and fastest colors! <eg>

I had never even ridden a scooter of this style and bought my new to me 08 with no test ride. (I blame Siyeh for this to my wife lol)

I have enjoyed riding this scoot more than any other I have owned. It is just plain FUN!

#18 ·
Well done Beacat... enjoy what you got to the MAX!!!... one sugestion if I could make... spend about $120 and fit on some "sliders"... I've fitted front axle - mid frame and rear wheel sliders... my son Dion unfortuanely dropped my bike when I first bought it and it cost him some $350 to replace the scratched parts -BUT that was trade price via my daughter Sian working for Peter Stevens Motorcycles in Adelaide South Australia.. counter price was some $660... yes I coud've gone through insurance but my son wanted to do the right thing and get the bike back to me the way it was then in mint condition... (check my photos out and you can pick them on the bike - obviously they - the rear sliders - won't works so well with the side panniers on but I only have them when touring I'm touring - the panniers) great looking colour too... I'd paint the bottom black panels silver and that would make your bike look AWESOME!... enjoy Bud.... catchay Andreas [ps... if you do fit sliders - mention it to your insurance provider - should help with your premiums]

#20 ·
Motorcycle Superstore sells those handguards. I'm wondering - from your photo it looks like the bar end weights are still used with those handguards? Is this the case? Oh, and do you mind mentioning what you paid for the bike? I just bought an '08 here in Indiana so I'm curious. If you'd rather not say I understand.

#22 ·
Thanks guys and those frame sliders are a real good idea. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I usually don't like commenting/gushing all over a bike that I have put less than 200 miles on but....this thing is sooo much fun. Having ridden a Harley 1200 Sportster for the last 3 years and 25,000 miles, I got used to a bottomless pit of arm stretching torque (fun). But heavy bikes with cruiser steering geometry and low clearance do not carve turns. You better be thinking about an entrance and exit strategy before going into that next turn!

The Versys got me back into the type of bikes I enjoy most. Dirt bike-like seating ergonomics, nimble, adequate power, good economy, and practicable!

I picked up one of those small cargo nets to accessorize the old UV faded soft bags flopped over the passenger seat, ha ha! Now I have options to haul stuff on errands in utilitarian mode.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.