Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, I dropped off the V at the mechanic to install new sprockets, chain and new tires. I would have done the chain and sprockets myself, but I am running out of time before I deploy to Korea for my one year assignment. I leave in 10 days.

I was able to get a 44T rear sprocket, stock 15T front sprocket and a gold plated chain. I got everything from Sprocket Center for around $150 shipped to my door.

I was able to get a set of Michelin PR4's, shipped to my door for $278.

And finally, my mechanic installed everything for $300. The Stealership wanted $250 just for the chain and sprockets and about $150 to install the tires. My mechanic also said that if I want, I can bring the bike back before I ship it to Germany and he will do a valve adjustment for around $150. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Overall, I am pleased with the chain and sprockets. At 70 MPH, I am turning right at 5K RPM's, which is about the same as when I had the stock 46T installed. I thought I would see a larger drop in the RPM's.

I love the tires. The turn in is so much quicker and the bike feels so planted through the corners. It's amazing how new tires can basically transform your bike. I can now see how crappy the stock tires really are.

Just thought I would share my recent experience.

Cheers everyone.
Jason

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So before, even though the speedo said 70 MPH and 5K RPM, I was only doing around 65 MPH. Now the speedo is accurate and I am turning 5K RPM at a true 70 MPH.

Okay..I understand.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
So before, even though the speedo said 70 MPH and 5K RPM, I was only doing around 65 MPH. Now the speedo is accurate and I am turning 5K RPM at a true 70 MPH.
Yep.

Also, when you calculate your MPG, you need to multiply it by 1.06 to get the corrected MPG.

Even though your speedometer is now correct, your odometer is now under reading by about 6%.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
403 Posts
The difference is that now you're ACTUALLY going 70mph.
Nice setup, I just got mine with the PR3. Love the 44t sprocket! Shifting into 2nd and 3rd gears is so F'N smooth now. Also, when downshifting to a stop, I can actually USE 1st gear now. Why isn't this stock?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts