Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my wife to climb on the back of my bike and ride with me this Sunday. She was always leery of street bikes, but for the last couple weeks had been hinting around that she could be interested, whenever I would be talking about rides I wanted to go on this summer. So, without her knowing, I went to Revzilla and bought her gear from head to toe. When it arrived, she was totally siked, except for the boots. I got the wrong size. Gotta love revzilla though, I had replacement pair that fit at my door two days later. So now I have created a monster and she wants to ride everywhere. My only problem is, that Sunday was the first time I ever had a rider on the back of a street bike. I didn't drop it or have any embarrassing events (at least not that she noticed..). One thing I'm not too sure of is what I need to do or how to hold the bike while she mounts/dis-mounts. I wound up standing to get the most control. But I could be doing it wrong.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
When my girl rides with me when she gets on and off. She makes sure i'm ready. I'll have both my feet planted sitting or standing a good grip on the bars. then i tell her Okay She puts a hand on my shoulder and climbs on or off. I alway tell her no sudden movements when we are stopped or i could drop the bike. So far it has worked well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
When my girl rides with me when she gets on and off. She makes sure i'm ready. I'll have both my feet planted sitting or standing a good grip on the bars. then i tell her Okay She puts a hand on my shoulder and climbs on or off. I alway tell her no sudden movements when we are stopped or i could drop the bike. So far it has worked well.
This is how I do it exactly...
There are other schools of thought as well. Watch this vid for more info. I know, it's a hog...same principles apply.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
We have a similar routine. She waits for me to tap her on the leg to get off. Similarly, I tap the seat when I'm ready for her to climb on. I keep the kickstand down. Often I leave it on the ground while she hops on. Not hard to lift up even with her on the back.
Once underway, the passenger should look over the shoulder in the direction you are turning. Here's an example.
FJR_Gap.jpg
When braking, on a sportbike, they passenger can put their arms around you and push off the tank to keep from sliding into you. On bikes with passenger hand rails, they can hold on to those to the same effect.
When the bike is moving at speed, the passenger can stretch, dance, whatever they want, but when the bike is moving slow, be sure they sit still as a sudden weight shift can really upset things.
That's about it. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
We have a similar routine. She waits for me to tap her on the leg to get off. Similarly, I tap the seat when I'm ready for her to climb on. I keep the kickstand down. Often I leave it on the ground while she hops on. Not hard to lift up even with her on the back.
Once underway, the passenger should look over the shoulder in the direction you are turning. Here's an example.
View attachment 95441
When braking, on a sportbike, they passenger can put their arms around you and push off the tank to keep from sliding into you. On bikes with passenger hand rails, they can hold on to those to the same effect.
When the bike is moving at speed, the passenger can stretch, dance, whatever they want, but when the bike is moving slow, be sure they sit still as a sudden weight shift can really upset things.
That's about it. Have fun!

Ditto on the passenger looking over the shoulder on the side of the turn you make.....

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
like everyone said make sure she lets you know and she knows your ready every time be for she mounts and dismounts the bike, hold your front brake and make sure you have a good footing..
if you dont have them already a pair of headsets (cheap ones work just fine)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I finally got my wife to climb on the back of my bike and ride with me this Sunday. She was always leery of street bikes, but for the last couple weeks had been hinting around that she could be interested, whenever I would be talking about rides I wanted to go on this summer. So, without her knowing, I went to Revzilla and bought her gear from head to toe. When it arrived, she was totally siked, except for the boots. I got the wrong size. Gotta love revzilla though, I had replacement pair that fit at my door two days later. So now I have created a monster and she wants to ride everywhere. My only problem is, that Sunday was the first time I ever had a rider on the back of a street bike. I didn't drop it or have any embarrassing events (at least not that she noticed..). One thing I'm not too sure of is what I need to do or how to hold the bike while she mounts/dis-mounts. I wound up standing to get the most control. But I could be doing it wrong.

Suggest watching youtube videos. There is at least a dozen for any subject.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
What Joe posted up is what I do, and I EMPHASIZE to NOT do any ON or OFF movements TILL I give the OK!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Yep, I thought I could do better. First off, I didn't get her on the Versys. She doesn't trust the pillon without a backrest or a hard shell tailbag. We were on my RT that weighs at least 150lbs. more than the V. (the wife is only 145lbs. but don't tell her I said so...) I really could have screwed up the way I was doing it (standing and holding the bike). I did not keep the kickstand down. I didn't want to try to hold the bike up with one leg while the other put the stand up. Probably not a big deal, just never tried it. So, with the heavier bike, I'm going to try loading her with the bikes weight on the stand, then lift it like the video Outdoorgb found. I'll get the wifey out to practice a few times after work tonight.
Also, Thanks Saddlebag. I totally forgot about what she is supposed to do back there. I only told her do not fight me or help me, just keep your butt square to the seat. Looking to the inside of turns may have happened naturally, but she should be thinking that too.
I did crank up the suspension too. I had it set at the middle setting when we started out and she told me how bumps in the road sent her butt off the seat. At the sport/firm setting she said the bumps were better.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have her take the basic riders safety course. Then she'll understand what your doing and make her a better passenger.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You should always be the first one to mount, and the last to dismount... She should sit up straight and relaxed, and should never lean in with you in corners, or lean the opposite way from fear of falling in. She should remain stable and vertically aligned with the motorcycle.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, we tried the getting on the bike while it was on the kick stand. Holy Crap, that made it so much easier. I thought it may be difficult to upright the bike that way, but it was easy as pie. Much safer. Now I have to work on her kicking my saddle bags and leaving boot scuffs on them. Thanks again for the input..

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
[" Ok, we tried the getting on the bike while it was on the kick stand. Holy Crap, that made it so much easier. I thought it may be difficult to upright the bike that way, but it was easy as pie. Much safer. Now I have to work on her kicking my saddle bags and leaving boot scuffs on them. Thanks again for the input.."]

My usual passenger who weighs about 120#, steps onto the left passenger footpeg, then up-and-over. Works PDG!

Had a visit from an AZ buddy last week, so he set up a rental (Wee Strom) for a day and he rode pillion on my Gen 3 V650, to the rental place, then back home later. He WEIGHS 230#. It was a CHALLENGE, just due to his weight.

Rather NOT do that again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts