Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its completly flat. im having trouble getting transport for the bike. can anyone recommend something so i can get the bike to a shop. fix a flat?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I picked up a cheap repair kit just for peace of mind 'cause you guys are scaring the $h&T out of me! Especially that guy that posted the pic of the spike through his sidewall. I'm sure it will happen to me eventually...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Probably best to just get the rear tire off than to try and ride it like that. Without a centre stand and with the undermounted exhaust that will be difficult. But, if you can take the exhaust off and grab some burly neighbors and rest the bike on a sturdy wooden or metal box then you should be able to remove the rear tire and take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Get a puncture repair kit and fix it yourself , they are simple to use and then you can keep it under the seat for next time .

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it safe to plug a tire on bike? would it be safer to get a new tire?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Get a puncture repair kit and fix it yourself , they are simple to use and then you can keep it under the seat for next time .
:D You haven't seen this guy's puncture - it's a 6" spike through the tire and out the sidewall.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If its only through the treaded part of the tyre then it is safe to plug , not the sidewall .

Sorry didnt realise it was that serious , did you get it on the road or offroad ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know what the tire construction is like on your tires. We had problems with plugs shearing off as the steel belts sawed at the plugs on our Z rated radials on our Honda ST1100.

We found the "gummy worm" style tire repair kits worked very well. Follow directions. Let the worm cure for 15 or 20 minutes. Then take a razor blade and trim flush with the tread. It should be good to go.

If the sidewall has been punctured, then I wouldn't trust any patch or plug. Too much flexing there. If you want to be real secure then have the tire patched by a pro on the inside of the tire.

Red

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just plug it for now, so that you can ride to your local motorcycle store. Let the mechanic check to see if the tire can be patched (from inside, of course).

If $ is not a problem, just go ahead and change the tire. If $ is tight, at least patch the tire.

I will not ride with the plug forever.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Highly agree, if a road surface area of the tire, then plug it and ride it to a motorcycle tire shop and get it replaced.

For future, put Ride-On in your tires. It will stop about 95% of the flats and your tires will last longer too.

It is not cheap but it is a ton better than Slime and others.

http://www.ride-on.com/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting product. On the front web page they offer to set up a discount purchase for clubs. Interested? I'll touch bases with them to see what they offer.

Red

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have been using ride on forever... Since the company started... Never got a nail, can't really tell you if it works or not. I feel good thinking that it's there :)...

Few of the popular bike magazines tested them and like it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts