Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st ride since new years eve. It was great to get out in the "warm" 45 degree weather. Snow was melting so there was a good bit of water on the road and I had to be pretty cautious. Got home and had to wash the salt off the bike and I lubed the chain, cleaned off my gear. Still great to get out. Its been pretty cold in Maryland this winter

·
Registered
212 Posts
You lucky dog.

It's been too long for me.

On my way home from a 5k race yesterday I seen a sport bike, and so wanted to take the Versys out to stretch our legs. It was sunny and 40*. But I had to submit to better judgement - I have a 1000'+ driveway and it had about 3" of packed snow, which has now turned to solid ice from the last rain storm. With 2' high banks on either side from plowing snow it's like a bobsled run, only flat. I almost went as far as loading it on my trailer and taking it to the end of the driveway. It's gonna be awhile...

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, rode to work this morning. It was a little sketchy but for the black ice, but made the commute with no problems.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Lucky you...way to much snow up here to ride....never make it down the driveway with out dumping it. I can't bring myself to ride on the salty roads now anyway. I won't be out till late spring....we get snow well into April :(

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
Just a dump question:

How salty is your snow or does snow has salt in it. I was with the impression that snow was nothing but water.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Just a dump question:

How salty is your snow or does snow has salt in it. I was with the impression that snow was nothing but water.:confused:
*If you live in a place that has lots of snow and ice in the winter, then you have probably seen the highway department spreading salt on the road to melt the ice.* You may have also used salt on ice when making home-made ice cream. Salt lowers the freezing/melting point of water, so in both cases the idea is to take advantage of the lower melting point.

·
Premium Member
7,840 Posts
You dump salt . Ok got it.

The reason I asked was I lived in snow cover china and did not see any salt, so was wondering where the salt came form.

Salt is corrosive and the damage done is not justified in spreading it on highway.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Salt is cheap, we do it here to on roads mainly for ice and my work will put it around site when we have those very frosty winter mornings, its all part of health/safety as we can't have some one slipping on ice hurting themselves and then we have to pay for their someone else to do their job and the tax payer picks up the medical bill.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Got mine out just before the Super Bowl. Went two up with the wife and tested my Christmas present. Scala Q2 Bluetooth intercom system-I loved it. But the wife really loved it- I could hear her just fine to 65 mph. Didn't test it pass that speed. Now she is officially excited about riding.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts