Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered the Google Play Magazine app for my smart phone. Basically you download this free app from Google and then subscribe to an electronic version of your favorite magazines for about ($4.99/year). The subscription is linked to your GMail/Google account and each month the app will download the new issue for you. You can also log in on your computer and read your subscribed magazines. Note it will redirect you first to log in to your Google/GMail account if you are not already logged in.

In concept this is a brilliant idea. It eliminates the cost of delivery and paper and lowers the consumer cost substantially. In execution it sucks. I think this was a summer project for an intern at Google.

I think Google just scans an issue and puts the resulting scanned images in a proprietary PDF file. My Android smart phone, despite having a 32GB simm card says it does not have enough memory to download an issue. I think it is trying to use static memory which there is not enough of and there is no way to direct it to the SIMM card.

If I want to read the magazine online I cannot use any browser, I must use Chrome browser and when I enlarge it enough to read the print I can only see a portion of the page at a time. Also the enlarged print and pictures are very fuzzy and hard to read. Issues must be read online and cannot be cached to your computer although the Android app allows caching. Also balancing a laptop to read Cycle World is not easy while sitting on the toilet. ;)

Google please improve this.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
many magazines offer digital copies already
no need for a third party to confuse what few faculties I have left

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I use zinio.com, they have tons of magazines, very good quality, low price, I can read it on my computer, nexus 7 or phone.
very happy with this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts