Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good rides in SE Tennessee or south North Carolina. It is only about an hour and a half ride from North Atlanta and I was looking for some good rides. There are some nices rides around north Georgia, but not a alot of really good twisties.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a really nice one. TN 165 (turns into NC 143) east out of Tellico Plains, TN. It winds it's way through the the mountains. The road is really nice and smooth. The area ia very bike friendly. Lots of "Bikes Welcome" signs. It was awesome until I got stuck behind a couple on their hawgs, hogging the road. We need a place to post GPX files.

·
Registered
327 Posts
N GA has some of the best riding in the world. Check out a local map: 19, 60, 129, 348, 180, 75, etc. Great stuff!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Anyone have any good rides in SE Tennessee or south North Carolina. It is only about an hour and a half ride from North Atlanta and I was looking for some good rides. There are some nices rides around north Georgia, but not a alot of really good twisties.

Are you serious????

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you serious????
Not sure I follow you. I was just curious if anyone had any favorites. I did Aska Road off of 515 last weekend, but there are so many that I was hoping for a little guidance.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I just thought you had to be kidding. The North Ga mountains, just North of Dahlonega heading up Ga400 is home to some of the best twisties in the country. People travel far and wide to ride them. Thats all. The roads you will find up there are a blast, but they are also extremely dangerous to an inexperienced rider. Heres a good place to start. http://www.twowheelsonly.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, this is my first bike and I am still learning my way around. I have been taking roads off of 515, because it is easy to get to from my house without hitting any interstates. I am only 5 minutes from 400 so I will head up to Dahlonega this weekend. I road up to Amicalola Falls a couple of weeks ago. Good roads, but not as twisty as I had hoped. The Tellico ride was really nice, but the two plus hours to get there was a little rough, plus I got stuck behind a Food Lion truck on 68. I also noticed quite a bit of gravel on 68. Once I got to Tellico the roads were great. Smooth and clean with lots of twisties. I am going to take 165/143, 129 and 178 to Greenville to visit my parents in a few weeks which should be pretty nice. I am still deciding on the route back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude,
you are too far west. You need to get to Dahlonega, then head north up Rt. 60. At Stonepile Gap slight veer to the left and continue to Suches, GA. You will get some decent twisties. Also, Rt. 60 has just been repaved in some parts which is good news. When you get to Suches turn right onto Rt. 180 at Dales gas station. You are now on Wolf Pen Gap. A couple of miles later you will hit some serious twisties - be careful! At the end of 180 you have a choice. You can turn right onto 129 and head up and over Neels Gap on Blood Mt. There are some nice sweepers heading up to Neel's, but coming down the other side you will hit some decreasing radius curves that will give you vertigo if you take them at speed. The pavement is perfect. If you turn left on 129 and go about 2-3 miles you can turn onto the continuation of Rt. 180 (right turn). Take that about 1 mile and then turn right onto 348 (Richard B. Russel scenic hwy) Again. nice sweepers once you clear the valley and start heading up. Once you cross the Appalachian trail and start descending get ready for some really good twisties again. I will take N. GA over the Dragon anytime.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. We were just discussing doing the ride up 60 next Saturday. I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You commented that this is your first MC:

"Thanks, this is my first bike and I am still learning my way around..."

Congratulations. Please avoid a common trap of getting with a group and feeling you have to ride faster than you are comfortable. ALWAYS ride your own ride at your own pace. Be smart and enjoy the ride.

Red

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks. That isn't a problem. My riding buddy is a more conservative rider than I am, besides...I am old enough to know better (I hope!).

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks. We were just discussing doing the ride up 60 next Saturday. I appreciate the info!
One note about 60. It will be fine from Dahlonega until you reach whats called the "Rock Pile". At this point to continue on 60, you go straight. But the next 6 or seven miles of this part of 60 is bad right now. The road fixer people filled in every single crack and crevice in the road with this tar filler stuff. IT IS SERIOUSLY SLIPPERY AND HAZARDOUS! Especially with the hot temps right now. I came down it yesterday afternoon and it wasn't fun. This is the only road that is like this and it lasts from the rock pile to the top of the hill. Once you crest the hill it is gone. Swanski has got you on the right roads. So twistie you'll need a dramamine:thumb:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great info and warnings. We will plan around it. I ran into a section that was almost all tar on 143 right after I got into NC last Saturday. I was just really glad it wasn't wet.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did that one last weekend. It was fun and the road is nice and smooth.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.