Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day I said goodbye to my beloved Versys. Sold it today to a first time rider. He's one of our heroes just arrived from the land of sand mountains and nasty people that like to plant hidden bombs and shoot at our good guys :usa:.

It was not an easy decision to let go of it. I rode 18K trouble free fun miles in it. I know my next ride have a meet very high expectations. I have no plans to stop riding or to leave the forum. Way to many nice people here. Now it's all about finding a new ride. I have my sight on a new tiger explorer. However, I'm still open to other options. I'm definetly looking for a large displacement, shaft drive adv touring bike. More for touring than adventure. The candidates in order of preference right now are:

Triumph Tiger Explorer
Yamaha Super Tenere
BMW 1200 GS
Motoguzi Stelvio

I already ruled out the MS due to high maintenance cost and lack of a shaft drive.

I know that you have to be careful in soliciting opinions in this site. However, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Feel free to chime in

Funny absurd comments are particularly welcomed :)

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
You might want to get in touch with FBversys He bought a Moto Guzzi Stelvio alittle while back. I'm partial to the Triumph Explorer. Best of luck with your decision..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congrats on the sale. I hope you directed the new owner toward this site.
Can't offer any opinions on your future choices, the "V" is the biggest most expensive, most adventurous, adventure bike I plan on buying.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lets see if I can get a hold of him
I have not test ride the stelvio. Lot of good reviews though.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though about the tiger 800. However, looking for a more touring oriented ride.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Wishing you well and good luck. No recommendations from me as I tend to like smaller bikes.

Post up and let us know what you end up with! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,110 Posts
What about the Versys 1000 ?
KTM 990 SMT ?

Can't get the V1000 in the States yet. I don't think the 990 SMT would be much better for 2-up riding.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
If they do bring the v1000 into the states could be worth a test ride as the z1000 engine it has is one smooth unit.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I was down in Moab UT and this dude had a super tenere it was nice. He said he bought it because of the shaft drive. :goodluck: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If kawa would have brought the v1000 I would have go for it. I rode a ninja 1000 and the engine is sweet. I read the ergos for two up are really good. However, kawa decided not to bring it here.

·
Registered
901 Posts
When I saw your post I thought someone was responding to mine as it had the same title.

Obviously I'm a little biased because I already bought a Super Tenere.

I was at a show yesterday and got a good look at the Tiger Explorer and the MG Stelvio...

If I had to pick between the two I would have gone with the Explorer. The MG looked nice and probably had great road performance but cost of maintenance on that bike it probably high. The Exploere is a great looking bike and for me two major factors swayed me tot he S10.

The closest Dealer was about 2 hours away....getting warranty service would be a real pain. The bigger factor is proven Yamaha reliability...The S10 has been out in the world for a while and hasn't had any major issues. Plus the extended warranty is reasonable should I decide to add that on. I think all three bikes look great with the S10 actually being the dullest of the 3. I know I'll miss the size and weight of the Versys but the S10 will fit my style of riding a bit better I think....Time will tell.

Good luck

·
Registered
612 Posts
If kawa would have brought the v1000 I would have go for it. I rode a ninja 1000 and the engine is sweet. I read the ergos for two up are really good. However, kawa decided not to bring it here.

Maybe they will bring it this year to the US like they did with the 650 the year after Canada.
It is a great engine and supposed to be one of the best for 2-up (I haven't had a chance to take my wife for a ride yet). The only reason I would have wanted a shaft drive personally was for the nuisance of lubing the chain on my 650 without a center stand but with one on my 1000 it only takes a few minutes.
I'm just curious if there are other reasons for those preferring a shaft drive.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Go for the lightest bike that fits the bill, in this case, the BMW R1200GS.
Or the best bang for the buck- Super Ten.
Or the most power- 1200 Explorer.
Or the most, uh, unique- Stelvio.
All have their strong points, all are highly-rated. Have fun making up your mind.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
...The candidates in order of preference right now are:

Triumph Tiger Explorer
Yamaha Super Tenere
BMW 1200 GS
Motoguzi Stelvio

.... :)
Just for co$t of maintenance, and availability of dealers, I'd suggest the Yam, IF you really don't think the V1000's worth the wait....

:goodluck:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go for the lightest bike that fits the bill, in this case, the BMW R1200GS.
Or the best bang for the buck- Super Ten.
Or the most power- 1200 Explorer.
Or the most, uh, unique- Stelvio.
All have their strong points, all are highly-rated. Have fun making up your mind.
I test rode the S10, and had a chance to ride the GS and the TEX back to back.

Like offcamber said praticality and value of the S10 is why I keep going back to it. I like the stability of the ride and it's probably the best jack of all trades. The word VALUE on the S10 needs to be written in uppercase.

The GS is an awesome bike, probably the best overall best for a lot of reasons. However, I was dissappointed with the feel of the boxer engine. I have to test ride the 2013 with the liquid cool engine. It is also the most expensive.

I was not considering the Stelvio. I want to check it out before I make my mind. However, it is more curiosity than anything else.

This was my experience when I test rode each:

S10 Great bike but I want o test others to see if this is the one.:sleeping:
1200GS And you have to pay that much for thiis, really? :huh:
TEX I'm in love again :loveeyes: I hope I dont lose my license on this :devil:

Requests for quotes are going out. Ill keep you all posted.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I saw your post I thought someone was responding to mine as it had the same title.

Obviously I'm a little biased because I already bought a Super Tenere.

I was at a show yesterday and got a good look at the Tiger Explorer and the MG Stelvio...

If I had to pick between the two I would have gone with the Explorer. The MG looked nice and probably had great road performance but cost of maintenance on that bike it probably high. The Exploere is a great looking bike and for me two major factors swayed me tot he S10.

The closest Dealer was about 2 hours away....getting warranty service would be a real pain. The bigger factor is proven Yamaha reliability...The S10 has been out in the world for a while and hasn't had any major issues. Plus the extended warranty is reasonable should I decide to add that on. I think all three bikes look great with the S10 actually being the dullest of the 3. I know I'll miss the size and weight of the Versys but the S10 will fit my style of riding a bit better I think....Time will tell.

Good luck
I blame myself for lack of originality. It just happens I'm a big Douglas Adams fan.

I also believe humans are the second most intelligent species on earth. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yamaha all the way. stay away from Triumph they are a terrible company.. All warrenty work has to be pre approved, then Triumph sends the part to the dealer. the dealer does not order them. Micro management at it's finest..Then the dealer is sur-charged for any part order less than $250.. So if you need a small item, turn signal or some thing, it might take a few weeks or whatever for the local dealer to get enough to make a order. If they only deal in Triumph then things might be alot better, but most dealers just have Triumph as a secondary product..

I am telling you this from experiance.. Never again a Triumph for me for this reason. I like the bikes OK.. But it aint no Yamaha.. I am a former 1050 Tiger owner.

·
Registered
409 Posts
¡Boricua! ¿Como puedes abandonarnos?

Just kidding.

You have three great motorcycles on your shopping list. (I never liked the taste of the Kool-Aid you have to drink to love the Moto Guzzis, but that's just my personal bias.) I'm sure you'll have lots of fun shopping, buying and then riding.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts