Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
with parts in hand it can be done in a day. I have replaced the seals in my forks before, so I was a bit familiar with the process. I only modified the right side & still have the stock spring in the left.

dealing with SDI on the internet was confused but a phone call put things right and they were very fast on the shipping.
the order was for shims:
KLV61009
KLV61010
KLV61011
KLV61012 ------- 2 each
KLV61013
KLV61015 ------- 2 each

some of the OEM shims were re-positioned to complete the stack. might be a good idea to have a fork seal on hand as well in case you damage the one thats in there. watch the stack up and note the direction of the seal if you take them off the leg.

I used a small diamond bit in my Dremel Moto Tool to reshape the ports on the valves. took maybe half hour per valve

the biggest PITA was the bottom Allen head bolt that holds the cartridge. I hit it with the impact gun but it spun anyway. the valve body spins in the cartridge tube... you can hold the tube, but no way to touch the valve. I farted with it a couple hours but got nowhere & finally just drilled off the head. that will never happen again because I pined it before reassembly. I drilled an 1/8" hole through the side of the cartridge, then into the bottom valve body that the Allen bolt threads into (I stopped just short of the thread). I put a piece of steel rod in the hole about 5/16" long and dressed it smooth. the bottom cap slides right over it & holds it in place. all parts are captive by the Allen bolt once assembled, same as original. I did this because it is possible to hold the cartridge from the top of the fork and if you use Locktite like the book says, eventually the Locktite will win, and the cart will spin.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
the biggest PITA was the bottom Allen head bolt that holds the cartridge. I hit it with the impact gun but it spun anyway. the valve body spins in the cartridge tube... you can hold the tube, but no way to touch the valve. I farted with it a couple hours but got nowhere & finally just drilled off the head. that will never happen again because I pined it before reassembly. I drilled an 1/8" hole through the side of the cartridge, then into the bottom valve body that the Allen bolt threads into (I stopped just short of the thread). I put a piece of steel rod in the hole about 5/16" long and dressed it smooth. the bottom cap slides right over it & holds it in place. all parts are captive by the Allen bolt once assembled, same as original. I did this because it is possible to hold the cartridge from the top of the fork and if you use Locktite like the book says, eventually the Locktite will win, and the cart will spin.
That's an excellent mod Berezerboy! Well done sir!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts