Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Just sold my KLR650 yesterday. Good bike, but I found myself complaining about it a lot on long journeys. For a laugh, i put it up in the classifieds, and was overwhelmed with responses. Got what I was asking for, and now I have new bike money!

Before getting the KLR, I test-rode a Versys at a dealership and loved it, but they wanted a lot of scrap for it, which meant i had to shelve that dream for a while.

I looked around in my area on Craigslist and found a 2008 that's 2 hours away. Has 15k miles and looks fairly clean:

Now for my questions that I always ask: What to look for on a Versys? What's a dead-ringer for any sort of issue other than the standard checklist you should do for a vehicle.

Also, what is a good oil to run in these just in case I need to top it up? I plan to ride it back tomorrow if I decide to go for it.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I would look for a '10 or later. Lotsa left-overs out there cheap. I use Shell Rotella 5w40 T6 in mine but just about any 40wt would work to top up.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have a 1st Gen, 2009, with 55,000 kms on it. I have changed tires (of course), did the vale check (in spec) at 42,000 kms and replaced the chain at that time and I'm on my 2nd set of brake pads (changed at about 35,000 kms)

So I don't suspect there should be any real issues with your potential '08 @ 15K miles.

Looks like the tail is trimmed, there is a Givi plate for a Monokey top case, and the exhaust has been changed. Other than that it appears pretty stock and nice. If the tires are good and the price is right - go for it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would look for a '10 or later. Lotsa left-overs out there cheap. I use Shell Rotella 5w40 T6 in mine but just about any 40wt would work to top up.
Blue Bottle? And looked around for a 2010+ .. lots of 08s and 09s but the price jump is a little scary (3k vs 5500 :( )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1st Gen, 2009, with 55,000 kms on it. I have changed tires (of course), did the vale check (in spec) at 42,000 kms and replaced the chain at that time and I'm on my 2nd set of brake pads (changed at about 35,000 kms)

So I don't suspect there should be any real issues with your potential '08 @ 15K miles.

Looks like the tail is trimmed, there is a Givi plate for a Monokey top case, and the exhaust has been changed. Other than that it appears pretty stock and nice. If the tires are good and the price is right - go for it.
Talked him down to 3k - decent price?

·
Premium Member
16,220 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got my 2008 with the same miles last fall for $2,100 - but it was off season already. Sadly, sometimes I see KLR's go for as much or more than a nice "Vers.

Do check for non-current/new bikes, I was close to having one shipped from the West Coast, as I could have gotten it for a song at the time, and it would have been new/unused, but two model years old.

I got my KLR that way, gave a dealer a grand down, and said I would be back inside of 30 days to pick it up, complete the deal and pay cash for the balance, and it all worked out fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my 2008 with the same miles last fall for $2,100 - but it was off season already. Sadly, sometimes I see KLR's go for as much or more than a nice "Vers.

Do check for non-current/new bikes, I was close to having one shipped from the West Coast, as I could have gotten it for a song at the time, and it would have been new/unused, but two model years old.

I got my KLR that way, gave a dealer a grand down, and said I would be back inside of 30 days to pick it up, complete the deal and pay cash for the balance, and it all worked out fine.
Damn, 2100? That seems an exception, not a rule ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looking at the '13 and '14 models, I'm seeing leftovers around $5000, so the used prices I see are ridiculous. Bad tires, cuffs and 20,000 miles, wanting more than a dealer for brand new! Lol

·
Registered
739 Posts
Damn, 2100? That seems an exception, not a rule ;)
Indeed. It had been traded in at a Honda dealership. I assume they gave the previous owner little or some low amount for it, a Kawasaki ending up at a Honda establishment. I watched it for weeks, and then that turned into months. I was in and out of the dealer getting oil filters and ordering some Honda parts, and had to walk by the thing every few weeks.

It started out at $3,300- and week by week dropped until "$2,100" late one Friday. I had to work in the morning, and had a riding chum go snag it for me after he test drove it first, tying it up with some cash till I could get to it on Monday.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SEE BELOW:

A dealer in neighboring Wisconsin (unrelated to above) seem to often have a bargain on new/no miles/non currents, they are probably 500 miles from me. Last I had checked I think I could have had it shipped to me for $350-400. I would have driven over with a trailer probably. I saw others at this price before, some were on the west coast and I would have had one shipped if I had not "stolen" mine for such a song.

They have a 2014 with ONE MILE ON IT for $5,300 bucks.

For me, that is one of those deals where I would not have to drive it, as long as they could assure me it had a clean title and had not been dropped from a truck. They consistently have deals like this, I think it's LEGIT.

Or fly in and RIDE it home? Heck, it even has ABS, if that's something you would like.

Ken's Sports
2014 Kawasaki Versys ABS
Kaukauna, WI 54130
New, Sportbike Motorcycle, Candy Lime Green, 649 cc, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves per cylinder, parallel twin, 1 mi., 461 lbs.

To snag a NEW Versys for that kind of money seems like a deal to me. Often the best deals are on the LAST MODEL year of a past version, instead of the first year of the NEW model.

LINK:

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2014-Kawasaki-Versys-ABS-114439562

Here is a link to some other examples to watch, dig around a bit

http://www.cycletrader.com/Kawasaki-Versys-Motorcycles----CycleTrader.com/search-results?make=Kawasaki|2318344&model=Versys&vrsn=hybrid

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have had two 2009's. The first I put 21,000 miles on it, the second has 15,000 on it and still going. No issues of any kind.

The bike your looking at has an after market exhaust, and the luggage rack and top case bracket! Easily $500 in those items alone.
If it has a clear title, GO GET THE BIKE!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had two 2009's. The first I put 21,000 miles on it, the second has 15,000 on it and still going. No issues of any kind.

The bike your looking at has an after market exhaust, and the luggage rack and top case bracket! Easily $500 in those items alone.
If it has a clear title, GO GET THE BIKE!
Heading out to pick it up now :) I'll let you guys know what I think!

·
Registered
601 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep! I got it. That was a fun 3 hour ride back. Very different world from the KLR that I got from THE EXACT SAME TOWN. Now i have a comparison.

The only thing I noticed was that the front end felt really nervous during hard cornering, and it sorta spooked me to really lay into it- felt a lot of feedback into the bars... any tips for this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep! I got it. That was a fun 3 hour ride back. Very different world from the KLR that I got from THE EXACT SAME TOWN. Now i have a comparison.

The only thing I noticed was that the front end felt really nervous during hard cornering, and it sorta spooked me to really lay into it- felt a lot of feedback into the bars... any tips for this?
Congratulation's!
Was the nervousness during braking in the turns?
Both of mine did/do this, but I don't worry, I don't ride it hard enough to do anything drastic.
Now before anyone gets to technical about the front end.
At the top of the right fork, there is a adjusting screw, for dampening or rebound. Whichever, see where it is set now, and try a click or two either way. Ride it, see if it helps. If it does not, then search for suspension advice.
Be prepared: When asking about suspension and front brakes, you will open a large can of worms! There will be varying, wide ranges of opinions, and advice.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
welcome. and good job on your snag :) oh and love your pic BTW

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congratulation's!
Was the nervousness during braking in the turns?
Both of mine did/do this, but I don't worry, I don't ride it hard enough to do anything drastic.
Now before anyone gets to technical about the front end.
At the top of the right fork, there is a adjusting screw, for dampening or rebound. Whichever, see where it is set now, and try a click or two either way. Ride it, see if it helps. If it does not, then search for suspension advice.
Be prepared: When asking about suspension and front brakes, you will open a large can of worms! There will be varying, wide ranges of opinions, and advice.
Yeah i was eyeballing it today but not sure of the proper settings for me. I started screwing with my DRZ like that and it sorta got waayyy outta spec for a while until a motocross guy smacked me in the back of the head and said "Just sit on it while I tweak your settings".

A suspension whisperer, i ain't.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Thanks ;)

I was just around the Kenton, OR area on my DR-Z. Fun place!
np

if your ever in the area again hit me up we can go ride together

1 - 20 of 20 Posts