Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the itch for a little rocket.......not sure if i will keep the V too. Anyone got one? Any feedback? I dont normally ride more than 200-250 miles in a day and we have some great twisties in the area.

Choppastyle

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
the guys that i know that have R6's love them. But their a lot younger than me.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
200 to 250 miles is still a long way on a R6, I would need to have a airhawk for any distance on that bike.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got the itch for a little rocket.......not sure if i will keep the V too. Anyone got one? Any feedback? I dont normally ride more than 200-250 miles in a day and we have some great twisties in the area.

Choppastyle
Easy on the throttle would be my advice unless your doing trackdays with it.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Like weljo said great bike. :thumb:

The older I get the more I like the up right V! :thumb:

200-250 miles on R6 too many for this old timer... :nono: !!

·
Registered
399 Posts
My roomie has a 06 r6. Fun bike for sure! But I can't ride them anymore. Bad back, along with realizing I enjoy touring seating position more anyways!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$5700 with 7000 unmolested miles. They run $13,000 new after freight, setup and tt &l. Thats too rich for my blood. These new rockets dont require any real maintenance til 27,000 mile mark.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have my Baby '09 V and an '06 gixer 600.
I like riding them both I have a commuting touring set up on the V and on the week-ends I take out the Suzuki. hands down they are two different animals so there is no comparing them. but the V is my first brand new bike and I love it.
Long distance rides I can do both but not 250 miles maybe or easy 100 on the sport bike.
The I can ride for ever I just have to do my last Mod buy a new comfortable seat...
Have fun and don't twist that throttle all the way until you are 100% confident
on that R6

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Purchased

Bonus is that the Tags are good til 06/2014 so I don't have to pay TT&L for almost a year. Just need to give dairyland a call and insure it now.

Need to buy a new windshield. Guy had a double bubble blue on it.....what's up with that?

I'll write a ride report later........with pics.

Choppastyle

·
Registered
365 Posts
What's wrong with the double bubble? It's one of the best screens for a sportbike :)
Funny thing about getting older/backpain on a bike etc........ It's actually the opposite of what most people think. I have a sketchy low back, so I bought the V thinking it would be best for me..... My back got really sore on long rides, because of the upright position.... Now on my Yamaha Fazer8, I'm a lot more leaned over, but the pressure is perfectly balanced between my legs, back/stomache and arms, and now I have zero back pain after a ride..!
Cheers
BIGO

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have my Baby '09 V and an '06 gixer 600.
I like riding them both I have a commuting touring set up on the V and on the week-ends I take out the Suzuki. hands down they are two different animals so there is no comparing them. but the V is my first brand new bike and I love it.
Long distance rides I can do both but not 250 miles maybe or easy 100 on the sport bike.
The I can ride for ever I just have to do my last Mod buy a new comfortable seat...
Have fun and don't twist that throttle all the way until you are 100% confident
on that R6
Those are the two bikes I have! '13V650 and an '07 gixxer 600! I find I no longer enjoy a sportbike on the street. I did for years, but now that I'm *ahem* middle-aged, I can't put those kind of miles on them in a day. The V is perfect for the 250+ mile days, IMHO. My gixxer? Track only. If you get the R6, do trackdays with it as well. Tons of fun and you learn a lot.

I've got a dubblebubble on my gixxer. Helps a bit with the windflow compared to stock. Pretty typical mod.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What I hated about sportbikes, other than the ergonomics, is that you spend most of the time out of the powerband. In my old 07 CBR 600RR it wouldn't get into the powerband in 1st gear until 40mph! In very tight twisties that just doesn't work, and I don't feel like riding all over the place in 1st and 2nd gear, that is I why I sold the 600RR and kept my SV1000S, well, that and the fact that the ergos on the SV1000S are much more relaxed.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The thing I hated about supersports was having douchers in Honda Civics always trying to challenge me to "race", mostly I suspect they just wanted to see me squid out. Which I suspect happens a lot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bike is in the garage torn apart right now. I wasn't going to do this (as the prior owner said oil change was just done 1,000 miles ago) but I got bored on a rainy day. I figued I might as go through the bike and do all the maintenance. Still haven't ridden it more than 4 miles :(. This way I'll know it's done right and can have peace of mind.

Done:
Tightened Chain Slack
Bled Brakes
Flushed Radiator
Inspected Air Filter

Need to Do Still:
Oil Change
Spark Plug Change (I hear this is a PITA)

The Double Bubble design was nice but the color is what turned me off (it was bright blue). I just wanted to put the bike back to 100% stock.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
"Spark Plug Change (I hear this is a PITA)"

Like the Versy's isn't? ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Like others here, I have my 2009 Versys and a sportbike, in my case a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675. To me, those two bikes are a great combination because although they're just 25cc apart, they are worlds apart in the way they perform and feel, and that's what I want, variety. I can understand people who like a specific style of bike, but I have trouble understanding people who own three nearly identical bikes. Give me variety!

Definitely keep both, Choppastyle! And while the rest of us wait for him to stop wrenching and post some photos, I'll post up mine as illustrations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R6

This bike is pretty amazing. The power is almost too much. I actually had the rear wheel slip a bit on a left turn while giving it some gas. That was humbling. I look forward to keeping it around for a bit. I'm having trouble posting pics but I will post some soon.

Choppastyle

1 - 20 of 28 Posts