Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bolt that is shared with the T-Rex is a bit complex you need an m10 nut with a head size that allows a socket thin enough to fit into the crash bars adapter hole which is a pretty rare combination. You have to use the T-Rex bolt because the givi bolt is too short. The givi did not come with a nut either and the T-Rex included nut is much larger than the hole of the adapter.

After hunting special nuts and special sockets it went on like a breeze.

Also the rock shield is meant to fit the factory crash bars so I had to bend the lower bracket 7 different ways to make it fit an existing set of holes on the bike that it wasn't meant to bolt to. It fits great now though.

Looking adventurous.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
That looks like a cool setup. I have the same crash bar and skid plate on my 650. I notice the weak point is the radiator as the front tire kicks up everything there as you can see in my picture.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 300 has a pretty small high mounted radiator and it comes with a rock guard on it stock I feel pretty good about it.
I have the same setup. have only really tested the skid plate once when I holed up under a raised picnic pavilion during a thunderstorm. I had entered the pavilion from one end, but when I left I figured I'd just drive off the higher end. Didn't get a running start and hit the skidplate pretty hard. This shifted the plate to the rear enough to just kiss the exhaust. I could hear it vibrating at certain rpm's and knew just what had happened. Got home, confirmed the skidplate was touching the exhaust, loosened the mounting bolts and shifted it forward enough to clear the exhaust. Cranked down the bolts and all is good, although I haven't hit anything very hard since then.
I really like the T-Rex heavy duty skid plate and am glad I waited for it to show up in stock. Don't know if it's still available but it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I really think the skid plate took the bike up to "looking serious" level the exhaust being the lowest part of the bike always bothered me. You have to get up close to my bike to even tell where the exhaust is at this point. I haven't hit anything substantial with mine but I do use it to lift the bike and do chain maintenance as well as taking the wheels off, has never moved a touch. I could see a good hit making that happen though. Would probably be pretty easy to toss one more sort of fore-aft bracket in there if you wanted to feel more comfortable about it. Or maybe drilling a hole for a second bolt on one of the existing brackets to resist rotation. Then again maybe it just needed some more torque. I used a torque wrench on mine.

The bike looks like a beast now. I have some shinko 705s ready to go on, they actually look alot like the stock tires maybe a little more hardcore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts