Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Givi E21 hard bags and mounting hardware on my Versys. It has worked fine, untill I received my Corbin Seat. The seat is slightly longer and wider than the stock seat. The bag brackets won't allow me to put the new seat on my bike.

I'm thinking I will have to remove the "plastic grab handles" and then fabricate some new connecting brackets for the bag bracket assembly (just the top, right and left.

Has anyone solved this problem already? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
496 Posts
Damn, I hate to hear this... AGAIN! I really want to try a Corbin, but alas have the E21's as well. I'm watching this thread close.

Good luck brother,
Jim

·
Registered
496 Posts
I just got a PM from a member who has the PLX447 brackets & V35 bags (they use the same upper, close to the grab handles brackets as we do with the PL447 system.)

His Corbin fits fine. It's a tight fit, but he states it DOES work. Might have to "finesse" the little devil in there to start with, but will work.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try it again.

(As my Dad used to tell me "You should never FORCE anything into place... just use a bigger HAMMER if necessary." :eek:

·
Registered
496 Posts
I will try it again.

(As my Dad used to tell me "You should never FORCE anything into place... just use a bigger HAMMER if necessary." :eek:
Yeah, don't give up. Corbin's are notoriously hard to fit for the first few weeks of their life on your bike (i.e. initial fitment is a PITA!!!)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just got a PM from a member who has the PLX447 brackets & V35 bags (they use the same upper, close to the grab handles brackets as we do with the PL447 system.)

His Corbin fits fine. It's a tight fit, but he states it DOES work. Might have to "finesse" the little devil in there to start with, but will work.
Here are some pics of my rack with the Corbin. Sorry for the dirty bike, but KLR folks aren't known for clean bikes. :D

As you can see, the seat does touch the brackets, but not enough to cause any damage to the seat. Givi was kind enough to provide a little foam tape at the contact point to avoid any rubbing. I need to replace the tape, but so far I have had no marring of the seat material.

As I told MackDaddy, I did try to modify the brackets just a bit with a 3# hammer. I whacked on them a little with the seat off trying to bend them out just a bit. It might have made a little difference, but I think I really just scuffed the surface of the brackets a little. I can't tell much if any difference in the gap between the bracket and the grab handle.

Good luck in fitting the seat. If there is any way to make it work, it is worth it. The Corbin and the hard bags are my #1 and #2 mods in terms of "can't live without them" factor.

Ride safe.

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, thanks for the photos! My Corbin seems to be a tighter fit than yours. The rear portion of my seat sits on top of the Givi brackets, about a half inch up in the air, above where it should be. I tried pushing down on the seat, but was concerned that I would damage the seat pan and seat covering. Even then it didn't go down and "latch"

I can see in your photos that you opened up the angle on the brackets a bit, compared to mine. I will try again when I get home tonight. I think I will "oval out" the bracket holes and shift them back toward the seat handles in order to make some more room. If that doesn't do it, I will probably remove the seat handles and fabricate some new brackets.

Dave

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dave, it really sounds to me like your seat is not all the way engaged in the gas tank bracket. I may completely off base here , but it's definitely worth a look.

Based on previous experience I had with a Corbin on my KLR, you might have an issue with getting the seat to fully engage the front mount point. It would feel like it was fully engaged, but you really had to sort of lower the seat and push forward again to get it all the way forward. Actually, when the seat was new, I actually had to use my fist to punch the seat down and forward to get it to fit tightly against the tank.

Good luck with it. You'll get it and you'll be danged glad you did. :thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think I will "oval out" the bracket holes and shift them back toward the seat handles in order to make some more room. If that doesn't do it, I will probably remove the seat handles and fabricate some new brackets.
Dave, one other thing as well. I also thought about ovalling out the bracket holes. In fact, if I remember correctly, you could also oval out the grab handle holes themselves and cheat the handles out a bit as well. That way you should be able to get plenty of clearance I would think.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks for all the help Chris. I've actually got a spare set of upper brackets (as I bought my side racks & top rack at different times.) I'll look them over tonight to see if there's any "hog out" room in the mount hole.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is a possible mod for the Corbin.

On the under side of the seat, pull the fabric fasteners out in the area of the interference with the bracket. Trim the seat pan to provide clearance. Provide enough to allow re-fitting the fabric in place. Use a hair dryer to warm. I said WARM the fabric to allow your to fit it into place. Then refasten the fabric to the seat pan. Should provide a simple repair that will look professional if you take a modest amount of time to do the repair.

Red

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK... I went home last night, and took the new Corbin seat, put it on the bike, made sure the front bracket was engaged, then pushed and pushed, then pushed some more on the passenger seat. I could hear the rear latch making contact with the seat "hook". I was encouraged, so I pushed harder and it clicked in! I plan to leave it on for a couple of weeks and let it mold itself to the bike.

I rode in to work today, and the new seat felt great, no more sliding forward, and no more pressure on my "soft parts".

Thanks guys, this is a fantastic FORUM!

Trialsguy

·
Registered
312 Posts
Great news, Trialsguy! Yeah, there are still time when I have to lay across the passenger part to put my weight down on the seat to make it latch. It's definitely not going anywhere once it's latched though!

:thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts