Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my V used and I feel like the ride is a little harsh over bumps in the road. I checked to see what the settings were.

Rear:
Pre-load was on 1/7 (stock being 5/7 according to the manual)
Damping was 2 clicks from softest with white mark showing and changed it to 1 click from softest (not sure what stock is)

Front:
Can't tell what the pre-load is. I tried decreasing (counter-clockwise) a little but I'm not sure if it's better to just tighten it all the way (clockwise) and back it out or what. (not sure what stock is).
Damping was 1.75 turns from stiffest (stock according to the manual) and I changed it to 2.5 turns from stiffest.

From what little I did, I haven't noticed any change. I plan to return to stock settings to see if that feels different, but the manual is kind of vague on some of the settings. I know the rear pre-load is 5/7 stock, but i'm not sure about the rear damping. I'm also not sure about the front pre-load settings.

I plan to do the adjustments in this thread, but I'm still letting some of it sink into my brain first.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705

Any other thoughts or comments about what the original owner was trying to do and how that might be affecting the ride (especially setting the rear to 1/7 pre-load)?

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
At 175#, plus gear, I set mine to #2 of 7 (second softest), but as soon as the machinist finishes 'opening-up' the mounting holes on it, I'm installing a Yamaha R1 shock like I did on my other V.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Unless it the ride is harsh from bottoming out--which seems really unlikely--adding preload isn't gonna make the ride plush.

I love the Versys, but the stock suspension isn't great.

You adjust preload to get a good setting for sag. It looks like you found a good link to explain it. For me I backed the preload adjusters at both ends out all the way. Gave me a reasonable amount of sag in back, but I still don't have enough sag in front. And both ends are still too harsh. I sort of know how to deal with it (R1, or aftermarket shock in back, trim preload spacers, fix compression damping in front).

·
Registered
135 Posts
backing out the preload to much will make it harsher because you will be more aggressive part of the stroke.
it may seem better but if your using up too much travel even before your moving as you hit bumps etc or brake you will be straight into the end of the sus travel which is where its starts to ramp up or becomes harsher to resist bottoming ( compression damping)
i am 90kgs and the rear is fine for my weight but i replaced the front springs and it made allot of difference to the whole bike, no diving or wallowing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts