Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many, I've found the stock windscreen on my 2015 Versys 650 LT insufficient to prevent buffeting against the upper portions if my helmet as a 6' tall male.

Taking the stock windscreen off the other day to do some work around the cluster, I accidentally discovered a hack that levels up the stock screens versatility!

For extra height loosen the screen screws enough that you can move the upper guard out and over the top of the upper limit, thereby extending the windshield by another couple inches.

Pics attached to demonstrate the desired result.

My third season with this bike and I've only just discovered this now... Makes such a difference!

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice and simple, I may have to try this out. I'm curious as to what this mod does to the stability of the screen at speed. Do you notice the brackets rattling, or the screen buffeting more than before? I would think with 2 anchor points as opposed to the original 4, it may affect the stability.

Either way, cool mod!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious as to what this mod does to the stability of the screen at speed. Do you notice the brackets rattling, or the screen buffeting more than before?
I haven't noticed any issues so far - up to speeds of 120 km/hr it definitely makes a difference!

As you can see in the pic of the bracket screws, as soon as they're clear of the mounting brackets I tighten them down so all the pieces are snug, and I keep the windshield at the 'minimum height' after clearing the end of the bracket...

Keep it tight and make sure the mounts are in the guides on the bracket, as they can spin 90 degrees and sit incorrectly / not tighten proper.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried this "hack" today on a little 100 mile jaunt aboard the 650LT. I noticed a small improvement with buffeting around the top third of my Shoei (I'm 5'10" BTW) but not yet where I'd like it to be. I am starting to look at the National Cycle VStream Tall Touring as a possibility. I wish there was a way to demo before you buy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tried this "hack" today on a little 100 mile jaunt aboard the 650LT. I noticed a small improvement with buffeting around the top third of my Shoei (I'm 5'10" BTW) but not yet where I'd like it to be. I am starting to look at the National Cycle VStream Tall Touring as a possibility. I wish there was a way to demo before you buy.
At 5'10'' with the tall National cycle you will be looking through it when it's in the high position--I'm 5' 11'' running the National Cycle mid size and with it 1/2'' from the top it's right at my nose if I put it the extra 1/2'' up it messes with my sight

·
Registered
16 Posts
At 5'10'' with the tall National cycle you will be looking through it when it's in the high position--I'm 5' 11'' running the National Cycle mid size and with it 1/2'' from the top it's right at my nose if I put it the extra 1/2'' up it messes with my sight
Thanks! This is great feedback. I certainly don't want to be looking through any windshield.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do you like the mid size for buffeting?

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
Thanks! This is great feedback. I certainly don't want to be looking through any windshield.
Times TWO!

What never ceases to amaze me - the majority of cruiser-guys look thru the MIDDLE of their 'shields.... (?)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I, all too often in the summer months, have to duck down behind the windshield as I ride through a cloud of shad flies or similar. I can overcome the resulting dirty windshield by standing. However, a dirty visor requires stopping and cleaning. That is why I have a somewhat tall windshield with a spoiler...

·
Registered
308 Posts
How do you like the mid size for buffeting?
No buffeting at all- at the setting I have air goes over my helmet-I wear ear plugs but the wind noise is low and with the light tint of the mid shield you can see the road in front of you really good-just remember keep a rag or small towel with you to put on your dash because this shield could burn your dash when the bike is parked-happened to me

·
Registered
164 Posts
It works great. I had been doing this until I went to a new screen.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
I, all too often in the summer months, have to duck down behind the windshield as I ride through a cloud of shad flies or similar. I can overcome the resulting dirty windshield by standing. However, a dirty visor requires stopping and cleaning. That is why I have a somewhat tall windshield with a spoiler...
I carry a can of 'no-name' Lemon Pledge in a saddle-bag, along w/ a rag. When I stop, I take about a minute to spray then wipe-down the face-shield. Works GREAT!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I carry a can of 'no-name' Lemon Pledge in a saddle-bag, along w/ a rag. When I stop, I take about a minute to spray then wipe-down the face-shield. Works GREAT!

I've been using a Maguire's product (Ultimate instant wax?) that leaves a water repellant finish and works well. I even use it on my glasses!

However, I often ride after sunset through areas with wet lands. The insects can be so thick that it feels like riding in a heavy rain, only they don't rinse away cleanly. Not stopping to clean the visor after riding through a swarm of shad flies isn't an option. You can't see through your visor. That is why I'm running a tall windscreen with a wing. When I see the fog of insects in my highbeam, I duck down behind the windshield until I'm through it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts