Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a 2015 and up Versy's. I ended up finding a 2013 that I really like, and it's set up just the way I would set it up. (ADV bike style)
I plan to use this bike as a side bike that would get used for 80% on road and 20% light dirt and gravel roads. This would not be a trip bike, but would regularly see 200'ish miles rides.
I've heard these have higher vibrations than the 2015 up bikes, and less wind protection. I'm wondering if it is enough to worry about.
Also due to some ankle and hip issues (getting older sucks) comfort is of course an issue.
Can anyone give me any reason why I shouldn't get this bike, or why I should hold out for a 2015 up other than resale?
I really like this bike, and the only reason i'm hesitant is because it is not the more current version.
thanks, any advice is welcome as I have never riden a Versys before.

( I have been riding for 33 years and currently have a Chieftain, Heritage, and CRF450RL)
here is a pic of the bike i'm thinking about
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
102 Posts
For me ill get a gen 3 with a more modern look although mine is a Gen 1.
Vibrations on my gen 1 isnt really that bad. Like they said if its a parallel twin the vibration is always there but you get used to it and no longer something to even worry. My 09 doesnt even have ABS and its not something i worry.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
I will give the pluses and minuses . I had a 07 now a 2015.

Many upgraded the rear shock on the MK-1 & 2. ONE big advantage, I would swap that headlight for my 2015 if it would fit. The headlight on the Mk-3 just SUCKS . The Mk-1&2 can be easily converted to led lighting. My 07 had 65 watt Osram night breaker and brighter would have been better. Fuel mileage is roughly the same as the 2015. Fuel map is superior to the 2015- with the flash my 2015 is then superior.
A couple things, it is getting harder to get luggage for the bike ( finding anyone stocking the mounting).
One thing, find out if the valve shim was done and also if there has been any charging problem.
Those motors usually exceed 100,000 miles if maintained.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
I've been looking for a 2015 and up Versy's. I ended up finding a 2013 that I really like, and it's set up just the way I would set it up. (ADV bike style)
I plan to use this bike as a side bike that would get used for 80% on road and 20% light dirt and gravel roads. This would not be a trip bike, but would regularly see 200'ish miles rides.
I've heard these have higher vibrations than the 2015 up bikes, and less wind protection. I'm wondering if it is enough to worry about.
Also due to some ankle and hip issues (getting older sucks) comfort is of course an issue.
Can anyone give me any reason why I shouldn't get this bike, or why I should hold out for a 2015 up other than resale?
I really like this bike, and the only reason i'm hesitant is because it is not the more current version.
thanks, any advice is welcome as I have never riden a Versys before.

( I have been riding for 33 years and currently have a Chieftain, Heritage, and CRF450RL)
here is a pic of the bike i'm thinking about
View attachment 185327 View attachment 185327
Is this the bike -IF so how much? Also mileage on it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this the bike -IF so how much? Also mileage on it?
16k miles. Asking $4500 OBO. It's a little more than I wanted to pay if I got a pre 2015, But all the extras are things that I would have done to the bike once I got it. Even if I had gotten a 2015+. There are also plenty of extras like D.I.D. chain, risers. The owner said the Valves were checked at 15k, but I guess unless there is paperwork then who really knows.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good bike and as you've said it has the farkles that you want. Comfort is very much a personal thing when it comes to riding a motorcycle. What works for one doesn't always work for another. Price seems a bit high and you don't want to overpay for farkles. Things like type of chain, don't really mean much as long as the chain that it has is in good shape and doesn't have to be replaced. Risers etc may not be needed. I have an 08 First Gen and really like the bike. It came with bar riser, ( which I took off and don't need ) lowered pegs ( which I like ), after market seat ( I like ), heated grips and an after market windshield.. I've owned and ridden over 20 motorcycles in my 50 + years of riding and can't figure out what the complaints are as to vibration.

The Versys is similar to a lot of twins in that there is a range where you can get some engine vibes, but that is below 4000 rpm and above 7000 rpm on my bike. Normal cruising is in the range of 5-6000 rpm. What vibration there is doesn't bother me. When I think of vibration I think of the old 2 strokes, they would put your hands to sleep in a hurry. The versys is a decent all around bike, and in my mind is more geared to solo riding. I've also had a 650 Vstrom and prefer the Versys over it, for the type of riding I do. I wouldn't get too hung up on which generation you buy, as they all have their pluses & minuses. Buy the best one for the least amount of money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sounds like a pretty good bike and as you've said it has the farkles that you want. Comfort is very much a personal thing when it comes to riding a motorcycle. What works for one doesn't always work for another. Price seems a bit high and you don't want to overpay for farkles. Things like type of chain, don't really mean much as long as the chain that it has is in good shape and doesn't have to be replaced. Risers etc may not be needed. I have an 08 First Gen and really like the bike. It came with bar riser, ( which I took off and don't need ) lowered pegs ( which I like ), after market seat ( I like ), heated grips and an after market windshield.. I've owned and ridden over 20 motorcycles in my 50 + years of riding and can't figure out what the complaints are as to vibration.

The Versys is similar to a lot of twins in that there is a range where you can get some engine vibes, but that is below 4000 rpm and above 7000 rpm on my bike. Normal cruising is in the range of 5-6000 rpm. What vibration there is doesn't bother me. When I think of vibration I think of the old 2 strokes, they would put your hands to sleep in a hurry. The versys is a decent all around bike, and in my mind is more geared to solo riding. I've also had a 650 Vstrom and prefer the Versys over it, for the type of riding I do. I wouldn't get too hung up on which generation you buy, as they all have their pluses & minuses. Buy the best one for the least amount of money.
Fifty plus years riding is impressive. I'm at 35 years riding (53 years old with a couple hundred thousand miles) I think this will make bike number 26 or 27 for me. Seems funny that I have not had what I would call a mid size bike since early in my riding carrier. They are a lot different now than they were in the 70's and 80's models. At 50 years old I got my first dirt bike. Love it. I just ride trails and dirt roads and such with it (2021 CRF450RL) I have a 14 Chieftain that I use for daily riding and a 12 Heritage (that i'm going to sell) as my fun bike. I'm going to replace the Heritage with the Versys. Having a lighter weight bike that is still comfortable enough to ride is sounding like a whole lot of fun. I'm liking the thought of trying a different type of riding.
I agree with the Farkle statement. I also know that I am paying on the high side for this bike. (ended up making a deal on it, pick up next weekend) My only logic reasons being that if I found one for $3000 it would cost me about $1000-1500 to add the crash bars, skid plate, spot lights, ADV tires, windshield, LED head lights. this is all things that I planned on adding to whatever bike I bought. So this bike already has them, and I don't have to go through the hassle of explaining to my wife why I need to but this extra stuff 😂😂. The main reason being that this bike just grabbed me, and i'm getting impatient looking for that killer deal.
I live where there are very few curves or places to ride off road. (north of Dayton Ohio) I have to go about 2 hours to get to the good curve areas (that also have dirt and gravel roads) The CRF is good for riding single and double track, but to good 8 hours riding dirt, gravel, and pavement roads. I hope this bike will work good for that.
I also bought a receiver hitch bike carrier that is rated for 600#'s. I'm thinking about putting this on there and taking it to south east Kentucky area and riding it in the mountains. Normally I ride one of my big bikes for something like this, but the thought of hauling (instead of riding) a lighter bike to go play on the curves sounds interesting.
thanks for the reply, sorry for a rant. Guess I was in the mood to talk LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ended up agreed upon price with the guy on this bike. I'm suppose to go get it next Sunday. So as long as everything is good when I get there, it won't be long until I get my first ride on a Versys. LOL

·
Registered
111 Posts
Congrats hope the purchase checks out OK. On a side note. Concerning mid displacement bikes.My wife and I in the mid 70's travelled 2 up with camping gear on a Suzuki 550/4 and it managed to get us to where we wanted to go. Another example in 2013 we took our Vstrom 650 to Vancouver Island on a 10 day trip, and it worked OK as well. So mid displacement bikes will work, but I still prefer a 1000 cc or up bike for 2 up touring. Better brakes and power for passing. I did the math and its actually 57 years of riding motorcycles, but I'm getting near the end of the road for bikes.
As to being long winded. I suffer from the same condition and I attribute it to winter. No riding for 4-5 months on a average year does that to a fellow.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I put 30,000 miles of smiles on my 2011 Gen 2. Even did 7000 mile trips on it. It is capable of doing whatever you want to do. Personally I only like wind protection when the temps get in the low 60s and lower. I can ride all day in the 40s on my Road Glide, but hate riding it in August. Wearing the right gear goes a long way towards comfort and fatigue when riding naked bikes.

Big Horn Mountain, WY
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Plant community

Beartooth Pass
Wheel Cloud Tire Sky Vehicle

Bonneville Salt Flats
Sky Tire Helmet Automotive tire Vehicle

Capitol Reef National Monument
Plant Plant community Tree Nature Natural environment

Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Ecoregion

Nature Mountain Plant Bedrock Landscape

Too many more to post. Buy it and go see the world!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I put 30,000 miles of smiles on my 2011 Gen 2. Even did 7000 mile trips on it. It is capable of doing whatever you want to do. Personally I only like wind protection when the temps get in the low 60s and lower. I can ride all day in the 40s on my Road Glide, but hate riding it in August. Wearing the right gear goes a long way towards comfort and fatigue when riding naked bikes.

Big Horn Mountain, WY
View attachment 185362

Beartooth Pass
View attachment 185363

Bonneville Salt Flats
View attachment 185364

Capitol Reef National Monument
View attachment 185365
View attachment 185366
View attachment 185367

Too many more to post. Buy it and go see the world!
Awesome pictures. that last picture looks like a place that I would love to ride at.
I live in Ohio and have ridden east as far as Maine (Went for a lobster dinner and came back the next day) and as far west as Phenix Arizona. l've never made it anywhere in the northest corner of the US on a bike yet. I Tend to do lots of 3 day trips in the Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia range. But all of those trips have been on 1450cc and up bikes. I'm really looking forward to trying this bike out, I think we are going to have a lot of fun together. I hope she is up for it, because I won't run the shit out of it, but i'm buying it to play and have fun on, not to baby and pamper. I always see these dirt and gravel roads when i'm on bike trips that I wish I could explore, but doing that on a 850# motorcycle isn't always the best idea. Not that I haven't tried. Here are a couple pics from my last ride, along with 1 of the types of roads that I wanted (but didn't get to) explore. Pretty sure that sign (in the pic with me) was warning the black bears to watch out for the Rusty creature LOL Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Glasses Sunglasses Beard Cap Tree
Plant Branch Road surface Tree Natural landscape
Plant Sky Tree Motor vehicle Road surface
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape
Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape Wood
Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface Tree

just curious, what state are you from?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Awesome pictures. that last picture looks like a place that I would love to ride at.
I live in Ohio and have ridden east as far as Maine (Went for a lobster dinner and came back the next day) and as far west as Phenix Arizona. l've never made it anywhere in the northest corner of the US on a bike yet. I Tend to do lots of 3 day trips in the Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia range. But all of those trips have been on 1450cc and up bikes. I'm really looking forward to trying this bike out, I think we are going to have a lot of fun together. I hope she is up for it, because I won't run the shit out of it, but i'm buying it to play and have fun on, not to baby and pamper. I always see these dirt and gravel roads when i'm on bike trips that I wish I could explore, but doing that on a 850# motorcycle isn't always the best idea. Not that I haven't tried. Here are a couple pics from my last ride, along with 1 of the types of roads that I wanted (but didn't get to) explore. Pretty sure that sign (in the pic with me) was warning the black bears to watch out for the Rusty creature LOL View attachment 185380 View attachment 185381 View attachment 185382 View attachment 185383 View attachment 185384 View attachment 185385 View attachment 185386
just curious, what state are you from?
View attachment 185380
Nice photos. I'm in Middle Tennessee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy it and ride it. Enjoy the journey along the way. There are so many great bikes out there (the Versys is one of them), just try and ride as many as you can!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts