Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a windshield setup for cooler weather, so maximum coverage. I cut down an old '70s bar mounted Plexi-fairing to fit the Versys and mounted it up. Only had time for a quick run, but it seems to do exactly what I had hoped for. My only concern is the stress I may be putting on the mounts. I left the shield huge, at about 21.5" along the centerline. The leverage of that shield makes them bounce a it, especially at slow speeds over bumps.

Are these mounts up to the task of holding this huge shield, or am I better off cutting this down some more?

I know there are at least a couple very large screens for this bike available and I would love feedback from those who have run them.

Here's a pic of the monster

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Over time and miles, the factory brackets may fatigue and crack. I know there are a couple examples of that happening with larger windshields. I can't say for sure it will happen to yours or under exactly what conditions it may happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looks like I better break out the angle grinder again and chop it down. I guess it would be better to have the bracket fail than the piece it attaches to, but I'll try to avoid both.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...Are these mounts up to the task of holding this huge shield, or am I better off cutting this down some more?

I know there are at least a couple very large screens for this bike available and I would love feedback from those who have run them.
I run a pretty large 'shield in the winter (or long rides where rain is an issue),

and I had the stock mount fracture,

then got it welded - TWICE -

but then I got a Madstad adjustable bracket which solved that problem....:goodidea:

The 'killer' was riding washboard dirt, which caused the larger 'shield to sort of "whip" which took its toll....

Over time and miles, the factory brackets may fatigue and crack. I know there are a couple examples of that happening with larger windshields. I can't say for sure it will happen to yours or under exactly what conditions it may happen but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Exactly what I had feared would happen. In my case it was paved roads with a lot of poor "patchwork" style repairs done that caused that bouncing effect. It didn't inspire confidence.

Good to know there's a more solid replacement if/when I have to. I'll concentrate on a mini summer shield, which is also something I've been meaning to do. I've seen a couple that people have made that looked quite decent. I took it around this weekend with no shield, and in the near 90 degree heat, it felt pretty good like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts