Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question for you all on the cost of a Kaw gel seat. I just talked to the local dealer for a price on a gel seat and was quoted $499.00. Is this right? Thats outrageous! Mike

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have a question for you all on the cost of a Kaw gel seat. I just talked to the local dealer for a price on a gel seat and was quoted $499.00. Is this right? Thats outrageous! Mike
That is the correct price from the dealer... it's a lot I know...
if you're really interested in the Kawi gel seat, check EBay, you can find them a bit cheaper there...
or you may just wanna search through the forum. a lot of people, myself included have found other much cheaper ways to mod the seat to our liking.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's MSRP. I saw some listed for around $450. I don't think it's worth it. I just purchased a gently used one for $250 and put about 150 miles on it today. It starts out rock hard, and only softens slightly as the ride goes on. It did lower things to where I went from tiptoes to the balls of my feet. I'm going to go on a longer ride tomorrow with the stock seat to try and get a better comparison.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hansom Bob,I have one forsale, drop me a email for details if you are interested!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Whoa! Shop around!
I visited an upholstery shop yesterday. I had used this shop maybe 10 years ago and gotten good service.
I told him the V seat was sliding me too far forward and invited him to sit and see for himself.
He sat down, got up from the bike, went to his backroom and returned a minute later with a gel pad.
He said he could sculp foam from the back, build up the front, form fit the gel, and re-stich the seat. $85 for the gel pad, $50 bucks labor. $135 total.

I'm going back to have it done tomorrow. Could only take a day. I'll report back, but knowing him as I do, it'll be a great job.
Shop around! Don't skip the little shops, either!:D

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have to agree that the cost of the Kaw. gel seat is absurd. You can get a fully custom seat for that, and it will be better. Max Buffet post is an excellent option, also. Is that Kawasaki seat made of gold?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm on my second attempt having a custom seat made, this time I'm going with gel.

I've got an extra stock one that's in perfect shape that I've decided not to use. If anyone needs one to fool with and keep their stock one just let me know and I'll sell it.

I'll post a picture next week when my latest one gets done.

Dan

·
Registered
546 Posts
Went about 250 miles on the stocker today, came home with my usual sore butt. I don't think anyone makes a suitable seat for a 5'9" 190lb guy with no ass at all whatsoever. The stock seat is definitely softer than the gel seat. It is easier to move around on if you like to do that for comfort reasons. (I do) Of course, that ease translates into eventual monkey butt and the occasional frontal wedgie. I noticed neither of those on the gel seat after yesterday's 150 miles. Just a bruised butt bone. The seat doesn't really let you move around much. I'll have to do a longer distance test and see how that goes.
I kinda wish they make seats like they did decades ago, straight soft pillowey and not so wide. I kinda wish they'd bring back that rich corinthian leather for cars too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info from everyone. I think I'll get a second stock seat and taylor it to my needs. I don't know how much I will do long touring on this bike because I have a HD Ultra glide that burns up mileage with the cruise control and the cd playing. But I hate this bike around town or short trips through canyons, and the V is so good for this kind of travel. Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sammy,

I've mentioned it enough times ! :)

I should have new one this Wednesday. Hope it works 'cause I got a 1,000+ mile week-end coming up Fri, Sat & Sun.
Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts