Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was given some spider gel grips. Do they really make a difference? I've heard they get gooey in a short time and then I hear they are the best thing since sliced bread. If they really make a big difference in hand numbness, and I have to replace them every year I'd do it. Input anyone?

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Had my gel grips on for 2 years now.:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have used gel grips for years on dirt bikes and found them to be somewhat durable but only fairly effective in dampening vibes. Where you put the most weight on the bars (for me it is on the outside of the bar, clutch side), the gel gets compacted down pretty quickly and looses it effectiveness in that area--same thing happens for me with gel padded gloves, at the heel of my left hand the gel gets compacted down.

I slipped a pair of Grip Puppies over the OEM grips when my bike was new and have been happy with them--they dampen vibes noticeably and have been very durable over the 2 years they have been on the bike. Plus, when they get a "squished down area" at a weight point, you can just rotate them a bit and they are like new again. The drawback (for some) is that they make your grips "fatter." I, personally, like that...some don't.
:cheers:

·
Registered
74 Posts
My husband and I just ordered 2 sets of "The Original Beemer Buddies" grips. They have received excellent reviews on ADV. I like that they have a strip of sticky to hold them on and then velcro. I haven't received them yet. I'm not sure how big they will make my grips. I can't ride without my gel gloves - they grips feel too small if I am bare handed. I will let you know next week how I like them. Check out the web site...Originalbeemerbuddies.com.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The drawback (for some) is that they make your grips "fatter." I, personally, like that...some don't.
:cheers:
That was my favorite part about using Grip Puppies on my EX650.

The drawback was they made the heated grips I had on that bike less effective.

Eventually I removed them when I was moto commuting every day. I use heated gloves now, but still depend on heat from the grips.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My husband and I just ordered 2 sets of "The Original Beemer Buddies" grips. They have received excellent reviews on ADV. I like that they have a strip of sticky to hold them on and then velcro. I haven't received them yet. I'm not sure how big they will make my grips. I can't ride without my gel gloves - they grips feel too small if I am bare handed. I will let you know next week how I like them. Check out the web site...Originalbeemerbuddies.com.
I've been using tourna-grip for tennis rackets and wanted to upgrade to grip puppies, but website says they are not available???:confused:
Would like to hear an update on how these beemer buddies work and fit over our stock Versys hangrips..
Also would like some advice on the best gel-grips(Spiders?).
Grip puppies that make grips larger would be fine as I had these on my old Concours and they really helped. What other over grips are available? Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use Oury grips on all my bikes. Pedal powered and motor cycle.
I like the size, and they dampen vibration quite well.
As for "gel" grips. I find that if the person does not wear gloves the oils in your skin attack the rubber. I see it a lot in the bike shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts