Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted 15T sprocket, and wonder if this affects the speed reading or just lowers the rpm?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just lowers the RPMs.....the speedometer reads speed off the rear wheel ABS ring. My speedometer reads 2-3 miles per hour fast.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just lowers the RPMs.....the speedometer reads speed off the rear wheel ABS ring. My speedometer reads 2-3 miles per hour fast.

thanks, good to know. I guess all speedometers give a bit higher reading to prevent going over the legal speed limits?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It will vary with tire wear. There will be a tolerance. When the tire is new the speedo will read a little lower than actual when the tire goes bald it should be the opposite or perhaps just accurate. You can't sue them to pay your speeding ticket if they bias towards the high side.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Holeshot,

Actually, it is just the opposite. As you said, speedos are generally optimistic in the first place (stock) and odometers are supposed to be accurate. As the rear tire wears and the circumference diminishes, the speedo becomes more optimistic. Installing a larger (circumference) rear tire (like a 130/90 or a 140/80) will render the speedo more accurate. I have done this with a new rear 130/90 Shinko 705 and the speedo is now practically dead-accurate (which I like). Plus the bike sits about 3/4" taller.

And now the odometer is pessimistic by approx 5%. If my odo says I've gone 20 (miles or kilometers) I've actually traveled 21. I have checked this to GPS and more than one GPS.

You probably know this already - www.gearingcommander.com is also a great place to check - not only sprocket changes, but tire sizes as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No, what I said was right... I think?

Taller tire the speedo reads lower mph... So maybe actual speed equals 55 and displayed speed equals 54.

Then as the tire wears the same actual speed of 55 might read 56 instead.

Maybe I'm wrong? I'm pretty sure I'm right?

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I changed the rear sprocket on my 2008 650 to 43 teeth (didn't change the front sprocket) and found that my speedometer was within half a mile an hour of what displayed on my GPS. That was more that acceptable to me and the change in rpm wasn't of concern.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I changed the rear sprocket on my 2008 650 to 43 teeth (didn't change the front sprocket) and found that my speedometer was within half a mile an hour of what displayed on my GPS. That was more that acceptable to me and the change in rpm wasn't of concern.
Looks like your bike is one of the ones with a gear based sensor or something.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
I run 'stock' gearing on my V650s (15/46), but run 150/70 SHINKO E705s rather than the OEM size 160/60 tires, and my speedo shows w/in 1 km/hr compared w/ my GPS - that's about .62 mph, so - EFFECTIVELY right on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts