Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a beefier aftermarket gear selector? My oem lever got slightly bent and feels weird underfoot, and I’d like to replace it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If it's only slightly bent you could straighten it out.

Perhaps it's better to have a lever that can give a little under external force than to risk damaging the shaft with a robust lever that resists bending?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's only slightly bent you could straighten it out.

Perhaps it's better to have a lever that can give a little under external force than to risk damaging the shaft with a robust lever that resists bending?
I get that. Maybe I should have said a better lever. Something designed to handle the abuse of an adventure bike. Possibly designed to fold. I know they have them for some of the bigger bikes, just havent seen any for the x300. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are easy to straighten out, but take it off and place it in a vise to adjust it.....you don't need any extra stress on the shifter shaft.
Thanks Duffy. Will do. Im always scared to straighten them out!

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
I get that. Maybe I should have said a better lever. Something designed to handle the abuse of an adventure bike. Possibly designed to fold. I know they have them for some of the bigger bikes, just havent seen any for the x300. Thanks for the reply
Or go to a bike-wrecker yard and get a shift-lever w/ a "folding-tip", then cut IT off, and get it welded to YOUR shift-lever.

:goodluck:

·
Registered
972 Posts
When I laid my 650 down in 16' I bent the foot brake pedal at about a 90 degree angle. Took it off, clamped it in a vise and used a Crescent wrench to straighten it out. I thought about using a Mapp torch to heat it first but I didn't need to. It was still good when I sold it last year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The IMS shift lever for a Honda XR650L is a little longer and a direct replacement for the stock lever. I am using peg lowering blocks and needed the extra length.
Excellent. This is the kind of thing I’m looking for. Thanks. Hoe do you like having lowered pegs?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I laid my 650 down in 16' I bent the foot brake pedal at about a 90 degree angle. Took it off, clamped it in a vise and used a Crescent wrench to straighten it out. I thought about using a Mapp torch to heat it first but I didn't need to. It was still good when I sold it last year.
90 degrees? Wow. I would have snapped it for sure!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bent my shift level 180 degrees, nice U. Fixed it mostly on bike in middle of nowhere with crescent wrench. Got me 700 miles back home. Then took it off the bike and finished bending it with crescent wrench and vise. Works perfectly now and can't tel besides scuff marks it was bent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
90 degrees? Wow. I would have snapped it for sure!
The key is to do it slowly, a little bit at a time. Try to bend it the full 90 degrees back all at once and it will probably crack.
Thanks for the tips, I wont worry about mine so much then. Its only slightly bent and should straighten out. But I will buy a backup tobhave on hand just in case! 😀

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts