Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Does anyone know if the gear position indicator from other Versys models will work on the 2008 Versys 650? Obviously it won't fit in the existing space for the other dashboard lights.

·
Registered
141 Posts
looking at the part from Kawasaki directly for the 2015 Versys, it appears to have a simple plug on the back so I would guess it connects to the ECU or whatever the on board computer is. With that in mind, I would guess it won't work with the Gen 1 series as I would guess the Gen 1 bikes don't have the CPU set up to register or report that info.

I could be completely wrong. I want an indicator on my 2009 as well.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
i have a new in box indicator for the 650-1000 but its not a direct plug and play for the 08-09 its plug and play for the 3rd and maybe 2nd gen

·
Registered
445 Posts
Reactions: lhwahl

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies to everyone. I'll buy the one on ebay although it will only indicate the gear change after clutch is let out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for replies to everyone. I'll buy the one on ebay although it will only indicate the gear change after clutch is let out.
You get used to it. I held off buying one because of that 1 second delay after the clutch out.
So glad I finally bought one. My strategy on down shifting is just to glance at the number and do the mental countdown as I shift. Its been helpful in city traffic when truing and you cant remember if you were in 4-6 gear. Its actually improved my riding a bit, so much smoother not guessing my downshifts and ending up in 1st instead of 2-3 on the turns.

Also no more looking for 7th gear when getting on the freeway.

Oh and it reads neutral instantly. So at a light or stopped if you go into N it will read that right away even without releasing the clutch.

I tried a few mounting locations and settled on just right of the center of the speedo needle. will take a picture when I get home.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you KyleE for very insightful and useful response AND the picture. I did pull the trigger on ebay for the same reasons. Hope I can return the favor some day.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thank you KyleE for very insightful and useful response AND the picture. I did pull the trigger on ebay for the same reasons. Hope I can return the favor some day.
No problem at all. Glad I could help. Got the mounting location idea from AndymanCam on youtube but of course I had to try others and they all sucked hah!

·
Registered
445 Posts
You get used to it. I held off buying one because of that 1 second delay after the clutch out.
So glad I finally bought one. My strategy on down shifting is just to glance at the number and do the mental countdown as I shift. Its been helpful in city traffic when truing and you cant remember if you were in 4-6 gear. Its actually improved my riding a bit, so much smoother not guessing my downshifts and ending up in 1st instead of 2-3 on the turns.

Also no more looking for 7th gear when getting on the freeway.

Oh and it reads neutral instantly. So at a light or stopped if you go into N it will read that right away even without releasing the clutch.

I tried a few mounting locations and settled on just right of the center of the speedo needle. will take a picture when I get home.
Thanks Kyle. You listed ALL the reasons I like mine but did not get in to with my post above. And I agree that I think it has improved the smoothness of my riding.

Reactions: Kyle E
1 - 14 of 14 Posts