Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
versys 2007ABS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of some advice. I want to install a gear indicator as I'm a newbie in all aspects. First big bike and in the throws of doing my test.
I have a 2007 V-650 ABS and like the look of the round gear indicators a I think they look a lot nicer installed into the dash as apposed to the gllpro ones that stick on. However from what I have learnt so far the latter seems to be the better and more reliable option. Please help and steer me i. The right direction.
Any reccomendations would be a great help

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.
I`d suggest you spend a few months without mods to avoid rushing in useless things.

You don't need a gear indicator. You should change gear when needed. You wouldn't do yourself a favor by building dependency on a gear indicator. If it is to fix the annoyance of trying to go in 7th gear, or below 1st gear, then I don't know what to say except that you have that indicator already and it's read with your left foot... I suspect you are mostly annoyed of trying to take off in 2nd or above and that isn't something hard to correct. You just need to built an habit of downshifting them all while you come to a stop, the same way you build an habit to remove the blinker after a turn.

Whatever you put in the dashboard, you have only 2 places. I would strongly recommend a voltmeter for the 1st choice. Then think of the future: you are likely to want a USB charger, whether it's for the phone or headset. So unless you find some amazing combo dash port, you don't get a 3rd choice for a 'distracting' gear indicator.

So if you absolutely can't pass on gear indicator, then I would have to suggest a stick on, in the anticipation that you will remove it later.

Hope this helps.

(oh, and put the lock on the rear wheel, that is even more annoying for thieves because it's heavier and the front steering remains effective by making it harder to move while crooked...)

·
Registered
versys 2007ABS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey dddd thanks for the reply and the welcome.
I have already a dependency on the gear indicator having been on a 125 supermoto for the past year. I don't use it that ofetn but its just nice to have the reassurance of knowing when in doubt. I have tried the 2nd gear pull away from the lights and its not confidence inspiring around London where I live with such busy junctions made worse by having a lack of power from the 125 even in the right gear....🤣
I'm really looking to make life easier by having the reassurance of a gear indicator and hope that in time it may well be something that I don't need or even use.
I'm really looking forward to getting on the bike and clocking up some miles with lots of trips planned and people to visit up and down the country.
Having said that I am still interested to know if the round gear indicatos work on a 2007 as I do prefer the look of them installed?
In regards of the lock on the front wheel it was just an extra precaution as you can see in the photo I already have a Oxford lock on the back wheel but do plan on getting an anchor point and using my alarmed disc lock once I have swapped over to full time use of the Versys.
Thanks once again for your advice.....be great if you could let me know about the gear indicator.

·
Premium Member
7,841 Posts
I have a "stick on" , on my 09 and no problem so far. Only problem will be the wiring so try and get a plug and play unit if you have wiring problem.

·
Registered
versys 2007ABS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic news.....I could go with that option if the round one won't work. At least I have a back up plan.
Maybe even try and integrate it some so it looks more natural as opposed to stuck on. I get that for a lot its a simple fix but I would prefer something more flush fitting.....thanks Fastoman appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
I went with the GlPro on my 09. Ran the wire between the dash and Tach/Speedometer. Just plugs in under the seat.

IMG_0061 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0780 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought the OEM indicator for my 1000LT and found that the previous owner installed a larger front sprocket. 1st and 2nd are correct, 5th and 6th are correct, but 3rd and 4th will show the wrong gear.

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
Any recommendations would be a great help
I have several V650s. What I do (as a check as to WHETHER I'm in 6th or NOT) is to look at the tach, and multiply the "5 hundreds" by 10. Say at 4500 rpm - so 9 times 10 = 90, and your speedo should be in the 90 km/hr range.

IF it's starting w/ '8', shift UP once.

·
Super Moderator
19,412 Posts
I have several V650s. What I do (as a check as to WHETHER I'm in 6th or NOT) is to look at the tach, and multiply the "5 hundreds" by 10. Say at 4500 rpm - so 9 times 10 = 90, and your speedo should be in the 90 km/hr range.

IF it's starting w/ '8', shift UP once.
In countries using 'miles' I just use SEVEN rather than TEN, thus:
look at the tach, and multiply the "5 hundreds" by 7. Say at 4500 rpm - so 9 times 7 = 63, and your speedo should be in the 65 mph range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts