Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone need some expert advice. My wife gave me an early Christmas present. Its an aftermarket gear indicator for my bike (2015 Versys 650). The gear indicator is an IDEA. Motorcycle Gear Indicator Green LED For Kawasaki VERSYS 650 1000 2014-2016 | eBay

It was a direct plug in to the factory connector. I already have the relay attached for my USB plug.

The Problem is the gear indicator comes on counts up to 6 and then shows 0. After I pull the clutch or let it set with the key on or running it starts to flash a F. The manufacter offers no help or troubleshooting. Any thoughts?

-Update-
Problem solved thanks to the below members help.
So I had installed the plug to the connector under the wind screen. This is only for the factory indicator that here in the U.S is around $200. I moved the connector to the one located under the seat. It seems to be working great now. Read gears up and down. I took several pictures and a video, but cant get them to upload. Ill try again from work tomorrow.

1 year review
Its been a year and still working great. I have had good luck and happy with it. One thing I didn't mention is I had to take a round file to open the hole some for fitment. The locking nut is a pain to install so keep the hole tight and snug. I added a little blue lock tight and its held in place great. I also added a cheap amazon usb plug and have had to replace it twice.. I would like to upgrade that but $10 vs $180 from Kawasaki is hard to swallow.

Attachments

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hello everyone need some expert advice. My wife gave me an early Christmas present. Its an aftermarket gear indicator for my bike (2015 Versys 650). The gear indicator is an IDEA. Motorcycle Gear Indicator Green LED For Kawasaki VERSYS 650 1000 2014-2016 | eBay

It was a direct plug in to the factory connector. I already have the relay attached for my USB plug.

The Problem is the gear indicator comes on counts up to 6 and then shows 0. After I pull the clutch or let it set with the key on or running it starts to flash a F. The manufacter offers no help or troubleshooting. Any thoughts?
When I pull my clutch in I get - - -- dashed lines. I have never seen an F. Does it show he right gear when you have the clutchreleased and the bike is in gear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I connected it to the connector under the wind screen. Some one suggested the connector under the seat. Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Which plug did you connect it to? There are two plugs, one under the seat and one behind the dash. Most of the aftermarket gear indicators need to plug into the one under the seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ill try that tonight when I get home. Thanks, then what is the connector under the wind screen for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's for the stock gear indicator made by Kawasaki. It connects to a different pin on the ECU.

The plug under the seat is used for the diagnostic tools (KDS) used to tune the bike and clear error codes. Most of the aftermarket ones use the plug under the seat.

How do I know.... I've been building my own... so far only about $5 in parts... ;)

I sttill have a few bugs to iron out, but the next version will have an OLED display and show water temp and a bunch of other things :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought building one like that using an arduino but the ecu scarred me away. If you are successful with that let me know. I know at least one person that would buy it from you.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ill try that tonight when I get home. Thanks, then what is the connector under the wind screen for?
Would love to see a photo of your installed unit. The ones on eBay look photo-chopped in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's for the stock gear indicator made by Kawasaki. It connects to a different pin on the ECU.

The plug under the seat is used for the diagnostic tools (KDS) used to tune the bike and clear error codes. Most of the aftermarket ones use the plug under the seat.

How do I know.... I've been building my own... so far only about $5 in parts... ;)

I sttill have a few bugs to iron out, but the next version will have an OLED display and show water temp and a bunch of other things :)
Nice! I've been dreaming of building something like that. Always thought a little screen with outside temp, gear indicator, etc would be fairly straightforward to build.

Plus, always in the lookout for another project to print. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi All, I really like this unit and found it on ebay for my 2011. I hate to sound like a weinie, but I am not mechanical/electrical minded. So.... this is just a plug and play and route the wire??? Is the plug in spot immediately available with just removing the seat or do you have to dig deeper. Is the plug in spot obvious or do you have to know which one of many to use??? If somebody has a picture that would be great. If it is as simple as it sounds I will order it for myself for Xmas. It is one of the things that I always sort of wished my V had. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
The plug is usually right in the open after you remove the seat.
It should be shown in your manual someplace as the diagnostic port/plug.

·
Registered
440 Posts
So this indicator works fine? Easy to see display in sunlight? How did you cut the hole?

Thanks
I got the square one off ebay $39.99 plus $5.00 shipping.
sold by autodvdgps2011.
plug and play. no drilling holes. it mounts with double sided tape. If you discover you don't like where you mounted it, or find a more suitable mounting spot. move it. With the round one you have to drill a pretty good size hole

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I wonder if this round one will work on the Gen 2 (2010-2014) bikes?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks but I was more wondering IF the plug on the round indicator will fit the harness on a Gen 2 bike. I have a square one on my bike now, just like the looks of the round one better, and ability to easier put it somewhere inset on the dash.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts