Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gear for everyday riding

6K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  fasteddiecopeman 
#1 ·
I'm pretty new to riding and I live near the mountains, does anybody have any advice on the best everyday riding shoes and pants.

#2 ·
I don't like heavy boots. I got a pair of these last year and have been very happy with them. All day comfort to walk in......TCX X-Square Evo Waterproof Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com

I prefer a mesh jacket and jeans I have riding pants but the armor irritates me. ....The link above always have great deals on stuff. I normally wear a size 13 boot but a 12.5 was perfect in these boots.

#6 ·

#10 ·
You say you live up by the mountains.....well l did in Vegas, so are you're mountains cold & snowy or hot & rocky???

Do you have an unlimited budget, what is your style of riding, are you strictly blacktop or an avid offroader..........You need to give us more info if you want a proper answer other than people just telling you what they wear for their environment!

I get some of my budget gear from this website, but be aware that you need to order at least one size larger than you usually wear if it's not a big name/brand product within their catalogue.

Motorcycle Helmets, Gear, Parts & Accessories - Cycle Gear

#18 ·
I'm in the mountains of South Carolina so the weather is usually around 70-80 degrees. And I'm on a budget and I'm riding mainly on blacktop. Sorry for the lack of info I'm new to riding and the site.

Ah use to live in the Low Country. Moncks Corner, Dorchester and Yemassee...Still have a sister in Harleyville. Next time you get by some "Boiled Peanuts" have a sack for me...
I know where that is! Everytime I pass a penut stand I have to stop get some for myself.

#11 ·
I planted one bike under a bus everyday riding home from work. I planted another in a deer everyday riding after a bike wash.

I'd suggest you buy the best protective gear that's comfortable enough to wear everyday. Ya never know the every day your number is up. Luck favors the prepared...

#13 · (Edited)
I am a big fan of four season textile adventure style of gear. It is characterized by a solid outer shell with lots of opening vents for hotter weather but adapts to cold weather with a separate interior wind water barrier that can be zipped it plus a thick insulating barrier that can be zipped it.

Suggest looking at Rev'It Sand, Olympia Transition gear, and similar gear from other manufacturers.

WRT riding boots pretty much any boot will protect you UNLESS your bike falls on your foot and drags you. In that case you need decent motorcycle boots. This is what I wear. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex Goretex is nice in cooler weather as the water proof barrier blocks the cold air plus they are water proof for the rain.

#14 ·
Climate where you live and ride plays a big role in this decision.

Warmer (above 75*F) I like Olympia Airglide pants and jacket, Sidi air boots (lighter ones like the Traffic model).

Cooler to cold weather, I like my Aerostitch Roadcrafter. New ones are rather pricey, but you can sometimes get barely-used ones on eBay for much, much cheaper. Alpinestars gore-tex boots for cold or wet are good. Mine are so old that I think they call that model something else now.

Armored gloves are nice to have during any sort of get off since your hands will almost certainly take a hit. There's a huge variety out there. These are a steal at $20 if they have your size. I got some red ones to match the '08 Versys. Really nice gloves too - Cortech Latigo RR Gloves - Sportbike Track Gear

#22 ·
FWIW - I have a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, and my experience is that they fit LARGE - I needed one size smaller than usual, AFTER I had already bought the L...!

I have gloves in M, L, XL and XXL, that ALL fit!

I USUALLY wear L helmets, but I have 2 AGV helmets in M.

You don't know till you put them on.

:goodluck:

#24 · (Edited)
I love my Kilimanjaro Jacket but it irritates my neck Too much material in that area and its a little stiff. I prefer a low collar jacket for day to day riding. I usually go with a good mesh jacket and if its cold put on layers of clothes under the jacket. For the nasty weather then i pull out the Kilimanjaro...

#25 ·
I wear Tour Master riding boots, although really like the Alpine Stars. Always wear leather chaps, easy on/off. Hot weather, a ventilated First Gear jacket; mid temps, an older leather jacket with slight perforated leather at chest; and for cold weather a Tour Master nylon jacket with removable liner, and zips to control air flow if needed.

#27 ·
I was being silly on an earlier post, but if you're on a budget, you can actually find good deals on quality gear through Craigslist, garage sales, and even Goodwill. I found a FirstGear jacket that fits me perfectly at Goodwill. It was $10 and online new it's $180. I did go through the the typical disinfection protocol, but it's my favorite jacket now - more so than ones I spent $80-100 on (yes, I'm cheap). It's amazing how many people buy motorcycles and corresponding gear and never use either, so they end up at Goodwill or cheap on Craigslist.

#30 ·
I'm a huge proponent of ATGATT (all the gear all the time). I always have on an armored jacket, armored pants, gloves, helmet, boots. Leather offers the best abrasion resistance, but it's not too practical for all-season riding. If you can get one type of suit, I also recommend textile. I had an Aerostich suit, am now wearing Olympia. I have the pants/jacket combo. It's not the mesh, but it has plenty of vents so I'm fine on the hot days.
As mentioned, RevZilla is a great online source. Also check out Sportbike Track Gear - they have some pretty good closeout deals. Also motorcyclegear.com

Don't skip on gear. Good gear will last for many years.

#32 ·
I wish I had all of the money I spent on gear that was going to last a season ... Finally, after many "test jackets" in 2011 I bought an Aerostitch Roadcrafter Jacket and a pair of their AD1 pants. I have just ordered a new jacket (not because the old one is worn out, I'm just tired of the color) It has a lot of life left in it. As many on here have said, Never leave home without your gear. I think someone else said buy as much gear as you can afford. I agree with all of them. KLIM makes an awesome product but it is way up there in price and has no collar to keep your neck protected from the sun. I have had a closet filled with mistakes. Buy it once and enjoy it for years.

#34 ·
Funny how you ask for help on pants and boots and everyone chimes in on jackets, gloves, and helmets. Go figure.

My 2 cents on boots. I recently replaced a pair of Diadoro Italian made boots with Alpinestar scouts. The Alpinestar boots are a heavier duty boot but stiff as all hell. I'm not sure I'll ever break them in. The Italian made boots however had plenty of protection and were as comfortable as any shoe I own. Not to sound to stereotypical about it, but you can't really go wrong with Italian made boots. Not too bad on price either ~$120.00.

#36 ·
Motorcycle pants are pretty much essential for riding any length of time below 60F or so. You need that wind blocking layer. Four season (vented) pants are more comfortable and usable when it warms up. You can wear them over shorts when it warms up. You don't need an insulation layer in pants. It's just as easy to provide your own base layer IMO. Motorcycle jeans are a nice alternative to motorcycle pants on a warm sunny day but not a replacement for them if you are an all weather rider or tour.

Revit, Klim, and Olympia are all great.

#38 ·
Boots...? I have four pairs EACH in AZ as well as in BC. One = MX; one = Frank Thomas waterproof (Cycle Gear); one = either BiLT or Sedici (Cycle Gear); and one = Italian (and OLD!), either StylMartin or ... can't remember the name (they're in AZ...), and here's a link on selecting boots

http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/motorcycle-boot-buyers-guide

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.