Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day I'm getting my licence this weekend and I am tossing up between getting a Versys X-300 and G310GS.
I'm leaning towards the Versys right now but there are things I like and don't like about each bike so I thought this would be a the best place to learn more about the Versys maybe there are ways to easily fix the bits I don't like about it.
So I apologise in advance If I ask any stupid questions despite being in my 50's the whole bike thing is very new to me.
cheers,
Wayno

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome Wayno. The inmates here will welcome any questions you have. I started riding when I was a little older too and learned a lot here.
Thanks mate i know nothing about bikes so im really enjoying learning things, from what I've read so far there are lots threads about putting tubeless tyres on the x-300 am I right in understanding that no other Kawasaki alloys would fit.

·
Registered
2021 Versys-X 300 2021 Z900RS
449 Posts
G'day I'm getting my licence this weekend and I am tossing up between getting a Versys X-300 and G310GS.
I'm leaning towards the Versys right now but there are things I like and don't like about each bike so I thought this would be a the best place to learn more about the Versys maybe there are ways to easily fix the bits I don't like about it.
So I apologise in advance If I ask any stupid questions despite being in my 50's the whole bike thing is very new to me.
cheers,
Wayno
I also narrowed it down to the Wee-X or the Wee-GS. I went with the Wee-X for 2 reasons. 1) Top end speed. 2) Cost of upkeep after purchase.

When asked what his favorite motorcycle was, Roy Rogers answered, "The one I'm riding." There is no wrong choice.

·
Super Moderator
21,790 Posts
...am I right in understanding that no other Kawasaki alloys would fit...?
As far as I remember - nobody has mentioned pursuing that. There are several threads about converting spoked-wheels to tubeless, including this one I posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Theres pluses and minuses to both for me.
The gs would actually be cheaper for me to insure has alloys and tubeless tyres, i wish the 650 or Z400 wheels would fit the 300.
I doubt for at least the first 12 months i wont see a dirt road.
For some reason ive leaned towards Kawasaki so the X-300 was the first bike that attracted me, but then gs caught my eye and i like the look of it.
As you mentioned the X-300 is cheaper to maintain and while ultimate top speed is not really a consideration and both will do the speed limit the X-300 may handle the freeway better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I remember - nobody has mentioned pursuing that. There are several threads about converting spoked-wheels to tubeless, including this one I posted.

I think your thread was one of the first I read on it, very informative specially for someone like me that has no understanding about bikes. Thats always an option but i dont know what it is but i prefer the look of alloys.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome & Greetings from Tassie.

We've got 2 Vx3s.

Wife went through the same question of 310GS vs. Vx3.

Ended up going for Vx3 mostly coz it is a more comfy long-distance tourer and and more than capable enough for the type of dirt roads we do together. Also greater range and better proven engine. The early 310GSs certainly had a number of issues, unsure about where that is at now.

Engine reliability is of interest to us, think riding across the Nullarbor desert for a few days. We asked a number of mechanics about the Vx3 engine and the tenor of their answers was along the lines of "you or the frame will wear out before the engine". Not sure how true that is, but it sounded comforting :) .

Happy decision making.

:) dq.

·
Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
920 Posts
It would be hard to go wrong I think. I had the KTM 390 Adv and RE Himalayan on my list too.

Ultimately picked the Versys-x 300 as it was more available on the used market in my area (so cheaper) ... aftermarket accessories appeared more available and a little cheaper.

I could have been happy either way, I think ... but am confident I made the right choice for me.

The GS probably has a better factory seat, and better low end torque. I think the Versys is a little better most everywhere else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome & Greetings from Tassie.

We've got 2 Vx3s.

Wife went through the same question of 310GS vs. Vx3.

Ended up going for Vx3 mostly coz it is a more comfy long-distance tourer and and more than capable enough for the type of dirt roads we do together. Also greater range and better proven engine. The early 310GSs certainly had a number of issues, unsure about where that is at now.

Engine reliability is of interest to us, think riding across the Nullarbor desert for a few days. We asked a number of mechanics about the Vx3 engine and the tenor of their answers was along the lines of "you or the frame will wear out before the engine". Not sure how true that is, but it sounded comforting :) .

Happy decision making.

:) dq.
I've heard there was some issues with the GS and I'm not 100% sure if they have fixed them, a mate did tell me that I would be better off with the Vx because they have a better build quality and the engines are bullet proof. I will be using it to commute so more the range the better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the welcome, i go for my learners permit in 3 days time, provided i pass then i will really get serious on picking a bike at the moment without trying any of the bikes on my list im 80 sold on the X-300. Have a few questions but will start a thread in the mods section.

·
Registered
09 v650
314 Posts
Hello! Apologies for late hello.
Reading about the 310gs or the r version. I remember hearing where it was built and the engines and chassis bits are all over the place. India thaiwan etc.. Hardly any German speaking parts on the bike.

Bmw does that from time to time when they can't get a solid answer from the brains at home. They outsource and then make something work. Like testing a market. They did it with the original f650 aka funduro aka apprilia etc. Etc.
And now look at them.. They pretty much ate up the mid range light ish weight higher powered parallel twins market. At least overseas... It's hard to escape a bmw cycles on the road these days. (here)...
But it's even harder to not see the Japanese bikes too! And for good reason! They have been selling like crazy. And most folks are just about attacking each other waiting for new sleds at the dealers..
I haven't given up bmw stuff. Just put them aside for the green team. Apparently.

Cheers! Hope to see you on a versys! Send us pics when you do!
Happy trails!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts