Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,
Trying to wire in a cheap aftermarket gear indicator, planning to "t" into the wiring behind the instrument cluster.

Need help in identifying wires, any help in color reference for an 08 greatly appreciated - please use small words - I'm electrically disadvantaged!

Ground - think this is Black with Yellow Strip
Switched 12V Positive -
Tach Pulse - ???
Speedo Pulse - ???
Neutral Light - ???

TIA, Glen

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, CheapA$$ eBay Chinese gear indicator fitting and calibrated.

Tried to wire using clamp type electrical fittings - not successful, so had to re-do, stripping and soldering.

Would have been done in half the time if I wasn't such a dumba$$, had to check and redo wiring twice!

But job done now. Works on stand, heavens opened just as I finished up, so haven't done a road trial yet, but feeling confident.

Would post photos, but that technical ability is above my pay grade on this site - why that is so difficult is the topic of a separate post!?!?!?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Would post photos, but that technical ability is above my pay grade on this site - why that is so difficult is the topic of a separate post!?!?!?
this is how i do it

Attachments

Reactions: millarg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gear indicator, fitted and working. Tends to be a slight delay and occasionally gets confused, but sorts itself out fairly quickly.

As a novice rider, I found it very useful on todays ride, I know a lot of people have mentioned that they tend to be searching for 7th, since I rarely make it to 6th (windy, hilly roads, with few long stretches) my problem was dropping into 1st (thinking it was 2nd) and locking the back wheel.

I also have a tendency to be in too high (or is it low) a gear, so I'm bogging the engine down.

Anyways, pleased with install and operation, it is bright and visible during the day, with an autodim for night.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Gear indicator, fitted and working. Tends to be a slight delay and occasionally gets confused, but sorts itself out fairly quickly.

As a novice rider, I found it very useful on todays ride, I know a lot of people have mentioned that they tend to be searching for 7th, since I rarely make it to 6th (windy, hilly roads, with few long stretches) my problem was dropping into 1st (thinking it was 2nd) and locking the back wheel.

I also have a tendency to be in too high (or is it low) a gear, so I'm bogging the engine down.

Anyways, pleased with install and operation, it is bright and visible during the day, with an autodim for night.
high, and good job looks nice and clean

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
... my problem was dropping into 1st (thinking it was 2nd) and locking the back wheel....
Try to get into the habit of letting the clutch lever return SLOWER in the lower gears to obviate locking the wheel (this is the reason some bikes have 'slipper clutches').

...I also have a tendency to be in too high (or is it low) a gear, so I'm bogging the engine down....
TOO high. Again - 'first aid' would be to 'slip' the clutch a bit till you're under way in whatever gear.

:goodluck:

·
Super Moderator
1,485 Posts
Fit a front 16T sprocket... this will make 1st gear usable.
stock 15T sprocket make it feel like a dirt bike!

always try and rev match when down shifting into 2nd and 1st and yes... release the clutch with a slip not a jerk

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Eddie, back on 10/18/15 you commented to Millarg about the Gauge Cluster Wiring for hooking up a cheap gear indicator and showed the excerpt from the manual. I was thinking about getting an indicator, and from viewing the pictures, it looks like there are numerous wires to be connected. Can you briefly tell me what gets wired to what? I just had the cluster removed recently when attempting to do the buzz elimination by inserting the cut pieces of straw into the two push-in toggle switches, and now have the confidence to go back in do work in that area. Thanks.

I saw the instructions from one of the sites selling these, but could not figure out what they were referring to for sensor cable 1 and 2.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Eddie, back on 10/18/15 you commented to Millarg about the Gauge Cluster Wiring for hooking up a cheap gear indicator and showed the excerpt from the manual. I was thinking about getting an indicator, and from viewing the pictures, it looks like there are numerous wires to be connected. Can you briefly tell me what gets wired to what? I just had the cluster removed recently when attempting to do the buzz elimination by inserting the cut pieces of straw into the two push-in toggle switches, and now have the confidence to go back in do work in that area. Thanks.

I saw the instructions from one of the sites selling these, but could not figure out what they were referring to for sensor cable 1 and 2.
Sorry Ray - all I did was to show a page from my SERVICE MANUAL, but I have NOT done anything in there.

·
Registered
667 Posts
No problem. I figured you were out for a long ride in the Arizona sun since we didn't here back from you right away. I'm riding tomorrow here in Cincinnati.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
+1 on the posi-tap products. I could not find any at the national auto chains or Wally World here in Cincinnati, so went to the web and had an assortment in a couple of days for just a few bucks.
Yeah can't buy them here either ebay works for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts