Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've experienced this a few times now, most recently this morning. My bike was sitting out (hot from ride) in the sun with 3/4 tank of gas. I walked by and heard what sounds like pressurized vapor coming from the gas cap, a sort of high pitch squealing noise. Gas vapor smell is just barely noticeable. If I open the cap, the noise ceases and I can tell it was pressurized a little bit.

I have a 2012 California model (with emissions canister). No running, starting, or refueling issues whatsoever. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
They all do that. 1st and 2nd generation, Cali emissions canister or not... We all have the same fuel cap which has a pressure release valve that whistles, as well as an inlet valve to allow air in as gasoline is consumed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Happens to my Versys as well. Usually after along ride and the heat from the engine "cooks" the fuel...ahahhahah.. :) :) :) ....
Asked our local Kawa mechanics as well...Its all normal. To ease it all, just open the fuel cap and close it back again..problem solved. Sometimes it can last for like an hour or so..depends on how long the bike was being ridden and environment heat as well...cheers... :) :) :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phew, thanks for the info! I'm glad it sounds like a normal occurrence. I was just confused the first time I heard it squealing like a kitten. Haha!

·
Registered
720 Posts
pretty normal, heard it many times on the ninja 250r, Er6n, Er6f/650r, Versys and sometimes even on the ninja zx6!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts