Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Versys 650, 10.000 km old now, produces a sound that increasingly irritates me. It seems to come out of the gas tank, but probably the source is beneath the tank. The frequency is high (8000?) at idle speed and becomes a little higher when the engine runs faster. At speeds above 50 km/h or so it is masked by other noises, but at a red light it is clearly audible.
I cannot tell if the squeak has been there from the beginning and I noticed later (it's not a bug, it is a feature?) or if it came up a while ago.
Is that a known issue, does one of you have experience with it?

·
Super Moderator
7,680 Posts
could it be from the meter consul. You can try using a different setting on the mode button...this is source of the noise you have describe. Only noise from the fuel tank is the fuel pump , which if faulty will produce constant noise. Your has different pitch at different RPM. It may not be from the fuel tank.

The next time you take a ride try holding or pressing down on some of the part that may produce the noise..may help in locating the source.

Keep in touch and thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
8,836 Posts
I would put my $$$$ on my old thread

My Versys 650, 10.000 km old now, produces a sound that increasingly irritates me. It seems to come out of the gas tank, but probably the source is beneath the tank. The frequency is high (8000?) at idle speed and becomes a little higher when the engine runs faster. At speeds above 50 km/h or so it is masked by other noises, but at a red light it is clearly audible.
I cannot tell if the squeak has been there from the beginning and I noticed later (it's not a bug, it is a feature?) or if it came up a while ago.
Is that a known issue, does one of you have experience with it?
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/9-technical-discussion/102617-2015-650-abs-something-running-ignition-off.html?highlight=running

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it is the fuel pump, it would make the noise for 3 seconds when the ignition is turned on. One test would be to, when you hear the noise, turn off the engine and then immediately turn the key back on. See of the noise comes back for 3 seconds.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Does it stop if you open the gas cap?
My Versys does this but only when shut down............tank is venting pressure. Try running it with the gas cap open. With the Kawasaki Vulcan (maybe the same design) you could take the cap apart and shorten a small spring and it wouldn't whistle so bad. I just put a louder exhaust on it. :smile2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Versys does this but only when shut down............tank is venting pressure. Try running it with the gas cap open. With the Kawasaki Vulcan (maybe the same design) you could take the cap apart and shorten a small spring and it wouldn't whistle so bad. I just put a louder exhaust on it. :smile2:
Thanks, but running it with the gas cap open did not change the sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
could it be from the meter consul. You can try using a different setting on the mode button...this is source of the noise you have describe. Only noise from the fuel tank is the fuel pump , which if faulty will produce constant noise. Your has different pitch at different RPM. It may not be from the fuel tank.

The next time you take a ride try holding or pressing down on some of the part that may produce the noise..may help in locating the source.

Keep in touch and thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I changed the modes, no change. If the fuel pump is faulty, will it "die" sooner or later?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I made a video. But since I did not even succeed in posting a photo I will have to find out how to post attachments. All I get is "thumbnails attached".
upload video on to youtube and then link to the video

·
Registered
336 Posts
This sounds like there's an air leak, most likely the tank vent. There may be plugged lines and/or the overflow canister. The service manual should give you an idea what plumbing you may need to snake...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts