Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great gas mileage!

Anyone checking gas mileage, since I regeared been getting 67 to 69 mpg.
that's some great gas mileage! what size sprockets did you use front and back? Sounds like you wanted a higher top end with less revs. How's first gear now? Have any problems with the engine light coming on yet?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Running 16 tooth up front, so 6000 at 57 mph (55). ABS unit so yes no gear pos. .
Checked mpg the old fashion way, the computer is 3-5 mpg high. Same as my car.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Running 16 tooth up front, so 6000 at 57 mph (55). ABS unit so yes no gear pos. .
Checked mpg the old fashion way, the computer is 3-5 mpg high. Same as my car.
I'm averaging 66mpg (3.5 l/100kms) with 15/42 gearing, and yes, I have the gear indicator problem as well.
CA200 - would you like to try selecting neutral BEFORE your wheels stop when coming to a halt? I find that this gives me a neutral indicator where it remains dead if I wait.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
I just rode a LONG way on my '15 650LT. I checked mileage EACH fill, and got as HIGH as 68.8 mpgUS, and averaged 58 mpgUS for the whole ride of 13,950 kms - 8,668 miles.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
WTF, why is everyone getting 50-60 when I get 40-45? I am somewhat aggressive I suppose...
I'm in the same high gas consumption range. I neither know nor do I care what mileage I get because I ride for pleasure, with a certain amount of aggression. Those high mileage riders must be the guys that I pass. Don't misunderstand; I ride fast in corners and curves. On the straight roads, I am usually around 10- 15 kph over the limit which is normal traffic flow in my area. Any fool can go fast in a straight line, it takes skill in the twisty bits. I always stay very close to the speed limits in towns, built up areas and cities- especially in school zones.

Driving my cage (SUV) I do note my mileage on the computer and I drive fairly conservatively to suit. There is little excitement for me driving four wheels- I get my kicks on two wheels.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ride for pleasure only because I am retired and can ride when I want to but am on a
very fixed income so gas mileage is important to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The gas mileage has been the one thing that really bugs me. When I first picked mine up last year it got 50-55 mpg, but I discovered the previous owner hadn't gotten the air filter back in properly so there was a significant area that was essentially ram air. Now that the filter is back in place, 45 mpg seems to be the norm. I've checked everything else I can think of except for the TPS and electrical demons scare me. :-(

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Gen 3 gas mileage...

As I spent the last few days showing some of our GREAT BC riding to my buddies (on a GS1200 and a V650LT), we got to compare mileage.

Pete, on his '16 V has already declared how happy he is w/ the mileage he gets, but on one of our rides we gassed up at the start and near the end one day. I had used 6.2L while he had used 8L...!

After talking it over we came to the conclusion that it is directly related to which gears we're using. I tend to be in 6th whenever I can, while Pete stays in lower gears. He got around 79% of the mileage I got.

:interesting:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I also missed the fact that it was posted in the X300. I saw the original post in the "recent discussions" section, where the different forums are not referred to. However, my comments apply to my riding style and I did not post any mileage figures. I don't have a clue what my mileage actually is. :dontcare:

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kinda feeling that this forum is a bunch of clueless Ned Flander's. Ongoing, very active discussions of gas mileage of a motorcycle!

I post questions about the x 300 - no response. So , is this a kinda goof right ? just want to know before I stop bothering your site.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts