Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Gas Mileage test

5K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Time 
#1 ·
After the damage to the bag yesterday I pulled them both off until I get the parts and fix it. Anyway I had wondered how much the bags and large windshield are hurting my mileage. So I took the Givi shield off and put the factory back on. I did leave the tail truck on as it's more or less not in the air stream being in my "shadow". With the bags NOT sticking out and the large windshield I think my mileage should go up. BUT ya never know.

My average mileage has been right at 52-53 MPG all around. I use a gas card and check mileage and cost when I pay the bill.

I'll post back in a week with the first check.

#2 ·
I got excellent mileage (60+ MPG US Gallons) on my trip from Columbus, MS to Nashville, TN a couple months back with my V outfitted as it is now (Trax bags fully loaded, skidplate, crash bars, radiator grill, handguards, and Powerbronze windhsield), although I did have a pretty constant speed of 55-60 MPH.

I'm sure all the metal I've added to the bike has decreased the MPG a little, but the looks are worth it! Every once in a while I'll take off the bags and their mounts (those things are a lot heavier than I thought) and go for a ride. The bike is always a lot more responsive and "flickable" in the corners. I really appreciate the utility of the side bags though and seldom have them off anymore.

My normal MPG ranges anywhere from 40 to 50 depending on how I ride.

#3 ·
The 1st week of Versys ownership got me 58mpg without bags but with aftermarket 'screen & I was in the "getting to know you" phase with the 'bike so was prolly being cautious..................however, since the honeymoon period ended l have helped the poor gas companies profits by squeezing the throttle more & dropping my mpg's to around 48mpg!!!

#4 ·
I don't know how you guys do that. Maybe it's because I'm heavy, and tall (wind drag), and do 70+ a lot, or maybe because I've got just over 1700 miles on 'er. But if I granny drive on my regular, not very much city driving route to work, the very best I can get is 44 MPG. If I have to hop on I-20 and hike it up to 80+ I'm lucky to get 130 miles on a tank. I always use premium and am using 15w40 Rotella for the break in period, but I can't seem to eek out more than 160 miles on a tank.

#7 ·
Also tall and ... Let's call it heavy
And also in the mid to the hingh 40's
But I always drive it like I stole it, have the givi V35 all the time, and usually on sencondary road at speed around 45 to 65 miles per hour ... But still, I put gas once every two fill up for my vulcan nomad buddy :D

LOP

#8 ·
I get 50+ pretty consistently on no ethanol premium commuting mostly 55 mph country roads. About 4 mpg less with e10 regular. I'm 325 plus gear. If the right wrist is too Happy mpg drops.

#9 ·
If the right wrist is too Happy mpg drops.
I'm a lot less likely to go ape on the throttle than when I first started riding, but if one doesn't dip into the bounty of power the V offers at least once in while, what's the point?! I delved into the throttle on the very last leg of my journey home tonight and rediscovered that giant grin of V velocity I so enjoy :D

#19 ·
:funnypost: :thumb:

Why am I not getting better mpg, oh guess I am traveling almost 100 mph! LOL :D

I get around 50+ but better on trips and less in town because I love to really hit it! :thumb: ;)

My bad! Love the V! :thumb: :usa:

Best bike I have ever owned!

#11 ·
I've got my HT boxes permanently mounted with the right side box always full with tools, rain gear, compressor, cover, etc.. I'm around 190 with pretty much stock everything else. Around town on regular ethanol gas I'm usually getting 49-51. On my trips it's usually a couple of mpg less due to higher speeds.

#12 ·
The guy l bought the 'bike off was over 300lbs & had a lot of 70mph freeway motoring on his 70mile round trip commute & he got 45mpg...BUT....he did admit to one "fast" trip he did on freeways & side roads (twisties) that he actually got it down to 35mpg!!!!:eek:...Beat that anyone!!!:clap:

Also, one factor that is not MPG related, but more like $PG is if you look at the price of a gallon (converted from liters) in England, to the cost of a (16% smaller US gallon) then it makes you think that we are very lucky in the USA to have such low prices!!!

How much lower??????Try $5 a gallon lower!!!!!!!:eek:

#13 ·
Everytime I ride and get close to or just over 150 miles my gas gauge shows that I have either 1 or 2 bars left so I fill up and it only takes 3 gallons.....so I guess I have another 2 left. So the V can get 250 miles to a tank? If so that's pretty good. I'll have to bring a gallon of gas with me one day and run it dry to test it out.

Choppastyle

#18 ·
I use my V mostly for commuting in the city, with the occasional highway or backcountry road thrown in. Last few fill ups have been:

35.1mpg
40.6 mpg
33.5 mpg
42 mpg
43.9 mpg

I definitely run heavy on the throttle from stoplights in order to get ahead of traffic, so the higher MPG tanks have been from longer rides.

#21 · (Edited)
! fill up on the test and I'm at 52.8 no better than with everything on the bike. Of course a heavy hand might be the cause...ya never know!

I did end up putting the Givi windshield back on yesterday...August in Ohio should NOT be in the high 40s! The high was only 68 yesterday. It was 47 this morning but was 87 on Monday. A bit of a shock to say the least. I just reinstalled the hand guards this anthernoos after I got home from work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.