Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

This is a "problem fixed" post fortunately; i just wanted a to share my issue and solution.

Recently i found myself at the gas station with both an empty fuel tank and a gas cap that refused to open. The lock tumbler had white dust (aluminum oxide) in and around it so obviously internal corrosion was preventing the tumbler from turning.

Fortunately I was able to make it home to troubleshoot the issue and heres what i did:

- Squirt lock oil into the tumbler
- Tapped around the surface the lock tumbler with a screwdriver and hammer
- Squirted more lock oil into the tumbler
- Inserted a flathead screwdriver into the top the lock and twisted it back and forth
- Eventually the tumbler began to move and i inserted the key but was still unable to twist it
- With the key inserted I put the screwdriver blade on the tumbler and tapped it clockwise until it began to turn
- At that point I was able to turn the key back and forth and open the cap
- With the cap open I lubricated everything that could/should move
- I also pulled the key in and out of the lock tumbler wiping of any excess oil and oxidation several times

The lock now works better than ever. (Glad this worked, i was about to drill the lock out since there is no other way to remove it...)

Here's a quick video of the process for others who may have this issue in the future.

:nerd:

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Every so often I put a little bit of WD-40 on my key and work it in and out of the ignition to
keep it working like new.
The WD40 'thing' is what I do whenever the lock gets 'recalcitrant'.

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Had that happen when i had my 09 Versys...Used WD-40 on it every once in awhile but then just put a Keyless Gas Cap on it and have put one on all my bikes since.....

P1010532 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
445 Posts
While I am also a fan of the Fast Eddie fix (WD-40) I usually just take a pencil and run the lead on the key, put it in and turn, and repeat. Yes, you could get a tube of graphite (I have one), but the pencil is less messy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
While I am also a fan of the Fast Eddie fix (WD-40) I usually just take a pencil and run the lead on the key, put it in and turn, and repeat. Yes, you could get a tube of graphite (I have one), but the pencil is less messy.

I'm fairly certain that graphite causes galvanic corrosion when in contact with aluminium. That is to say, all those lock lubricants that contain graphite are causing the problem they are supposed to remedy.

Once upon a time, when locks were made from steel and brass, graphite was a decent dry lubricant. Times have changed, the materials locks are made of have changed, but the lubricants haven't. Why should they? The more you use them, the more you need to use them! Sounds like the perfect business model, just like prescription meds.

I prefer a light oil that includes Teflon for all locks and hinges.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'm fairly certain that graphite causes galvanic corrosion when in contact with aluminium. That is to say, all those lock lubricants that contain graphite are causing the problem they are supposed to remedy.

Once upon a time, when locks were made from steel and brass, graphite was a decent dry lubricant. Times have changed, the materials locks are made of have changed, but the lubricants haven't. Why should they? The more you use them, the more you need to use them! Sounds like the perfect business model, just like prescription meds.

I prefer a light oil that includes Teflon for all locks and hinges.
Thanks Dave. I accept that description and will quit using graphite. Yes, to a light oil with Teflon. I have some for bicycle chains (and I use it on MC chains) and will switch to that for lubing locks also.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
Had that happen when i had my 09 Versys...Used WD-40 on it every once in awhile but then just put a Keyless Gas Cap on it and have put one on all my bikes since.....

P1010532 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Guess I just don't trust everyone quite as much as you do, Joe....

:wink2:

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Guess I just don't trust everyone quite as much as you do, Joe....

:wink2:

I don't trust anyone .....But most people don't notice it when they are looking right at it...:smile2:

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
Does the cap hinge or retain in some way? Or do you have to keep track of it during the fill?

The center piece comes out with a 1/4 turn. I put my gloves over the ignition switch when I'm fill up and just set that piece on a glove or stick in my jacket pocket or set on the gas pump or..or..or...https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Turn-Rapid-Open-Racing-CNC-Keyless-Fuel-Gas-Cap-Kawasaki-Versys-650-06-17/282533649990?fits=Make:Kawasaki|Model:Versys+1000&hash=item41c8515e46:g:G3cAAOSw6nNZqtaC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for this, mine is also corroded however the key still seems to rotate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts