Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Today I filled my gas tank and rode home to add stabill to tank for the winter. I had no problem unlocking the gas cap at the filling station but 2 miles later when I got home I could not get the key to turn to unlock the cap. Has anyone else ever had this problem or does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks,

Danny

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
Push down on the cap while your trying to turn the key. The stock keys are soft and bend easy. Maybe squirt a little WD-40 in the keyhole

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Push down on the cap while your trying to turn the key. The stock keys are soft and bend easy. Maybe squirt a little WD-40 in the keyhole
That did it. thanks so much. I wouldn't have thought it was a lubrication issue because it has always opened so easy. But thanks again.

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anytime :thumb: This works also.:D

IMG_0016 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I am always so worried that someone mean would just unscrew it and do something nasty. Also, when your at the pump, after you unscrew it, does it have a hinge mechanism? or do you have to put it down somewhere? (i.e. could it potentially fall on the ground while your filling it up?)

·
Premium Member
16,111 Posts
I am always so worried that someone mean would just unscrew it and do something nasty. Also, when your at the pump, after you unscrew it, does it have a hinge mechanism? or do you have to put it down somewhere? (i.e. could it potentially fall on the ground while your filling it up?)

No hinge i just un-screw it and place it on top of the gas pump. Most people don't have a clue you've got a keyless gas cap but just in case i've got that covered too.:D

IMG_0113 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't recommend using WD-40 in any lock mechanism. It gums up the works. Repeated applications will lead to build up and become more problem than solution.

I suggest using powdered graphite to lube locks. Spray some on the key and use the key to work it into the lock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts